Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

brakes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

Cstock
Posted 2019-08-26 2:42 PM (#6737)
Subject: brakes

Contributor

Would any happen to have part numbers for compatible brakes hoses-all for a 1976 #1034. I do most work myself but other than small routine brake maintenance I prefer not to mess with them. I've taken it to a shop to have them totally go through the entire brake system and of course they've already warned me finding parts may be an issue. Searched some several past posts and it looked like finding brake shoes was an issue as well. If someone can point me in he right direction on those-Lew? lol it would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Charlie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
andy1canada
Posted 2019-08-26 7:47 PM (#6739 - in reply to #6737)
Subject: Re: brakes

Elite Veteran

When I replaced both my front brake lines I ended up just taking one to a local hose & fitting shop and they custom built me two new lines for a very reasonable price. If you don't have them already you can also upgrade to braided stainless ones. Turns out the one that blew on me was abrading against part of the front suspension. Watch out for that!

You can have your brake shoes relined. Totally doable.

Good luck!
Terry
Cstock
Posted 2019-08-26 8:15 PM (#6740 - in reply to #6739)

Contributor

Thanks, one is leaking now probably from rubbing. Will check back my mechanic gets started on it
hemi354az
Posted 2019-08-27 12:14 AM (#6743 - in reply to #6740)

Extreme Veteran

Please see - http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid...
Please see - http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid...

REAR brake hose(s) to LOWER wheel cylinder, clamped to keep it away from the rotating U-joint, perhaps with a 90º hose end at the wheel cylinder, is worthwhile to enhance rear wheel cylinder bleeding. You decide how you want to route the rear hoses. Hoses are duplicated at Hydraulic hose places like The Parker Store, or an Aeroquip Dealer
Enter the words "brake hose" in the Search feature of this website. You will find more info and links to pictures.

You may consider changing to DOT 5 Brake Fluid, as the US Army (and my FMC #120) has done.

Shoes must be relined by a truck brake or farm equipment place. The shoes are 3.5" wide for a 14-1/8" diameter drum.
Return springs, and/or hardware kits are no longer available.
Wheel Cylinder rebuild Kits are Napa #195.
New wheel cylinders are still available, Part # WC28851. RockAuto might be the cheapest. You need 8 Wheel Cylinders.
Enter the words "Master Cylinder" in SEARCH and you will find discussion and pictures and Part Numbers of the two different Master Cylinders used with the "either/or" small or large Hydrovacs used in FMCs Coaches.
Please gain a complete understanding of the suitable BRAKE BLEEDING Process in the FMC.
Please gain a complete understanding of the suitable ADJUSTMENT of the BRAKE SHOES in the FMC.

The FMC BRAKES and lots of discussion of all the components have been thoroughly covered in this and the Yahoo website - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FMCMotorCoach/info?guccounter=1

You or your Mechanic can master the FMC Brakes.
All of the known subtleties are well described in the two websites . . . with pictures. They are there to discover and use.
You are also encouraged to review Section 9 Service Brakes of both the Service Manual and the Parts Manual - http://www.fmcmotorcoach.com/index.html

Brake ON ! Lou #120

Cstock
Posted 2019-08-27 4:43 PM (#6751 - in reply to #6743)

Contributor

Hi Lou, and thanks again for the valuable money and time saving advice, tips and part numbers. Like I said I will tackle most anything but have always just preferred to job out brake work even on my other vehicles. But regardless I do plan to learn the brake system thoroughly and will be helping my mechanic chase down parts as needed, also it's just so much easier on a lift lol. I took him a list of part number/manufacture'rs just now.
Cstock
Posted 2019-08-28 1:50 PM (#6757 - in reply to #6743)

Contributor

Hi Lou, i've spent the morning looking for various brake components using all the part numbers I've gathered off this site and the Yahoo FMC site and have had very little success. The closest I got on AC Delco 18K1651 was at Rock Auto, they listed 6 so I clicked order, then it said 6 were not available but I could order 1 which I did then it said hey do not stock that part lol. Do you know if anyone has just reworked the brake system with new modern parts/system that are readily available? I do no care how factory my coach is as long as the looks remain the same but I do need to be able to stop at my intended destination rather than flying on my because I can't stop.
hemi354az
Posted 2019-08-28 3:23 PM (#6758 - in reply to #6757)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Charlie,
Sorry Charlie . . . you are the PROUD OWNER of a 45 year old antique that only about 900 with the same brakes as yours were built. There are no "modern" brakes that have been adapted by any FMCer . . . yet. Don't hold your breath. No one is likely to develop a new and improved $400 Saddle for a $20 Mule . . . no matter how "cool" the MULE looks. (lipstick on Pigs ?)

As stated (perhaps in other "Brake" entries that you have not looked at yet) all those "other" parts have dried up. The only brake parts still available are the wheel cylinders, Master Cylinders, vacuum Check Valves, Hydrovacs . . . if you know a good HV number, and custom made flex brake hoses. The Ford P500 Parcel Delivery Van WITH the 15,000 pound rear axle and dual rear wheels, that the FMC Brakes (at the wheel) were pirated from, was made from 1953 to 1977. Thus they are an even "older antique" than the FMC !
You gotta' work with what you got . . .

FYI - the big Hydrovac is 35.5 inches CIRCUMFERENCE, measured with a "tailor's tape" (or a piece of string) around the rear can right next to the band clamp. If you measure something greater than that . . . you got the tape/string around something else as well. If you measure something less by several inches . . . then you have the small Hydrovac. But, but, but . . . we have seen FMCs with one big and one little . . . so also measure the front one so you will know exactly what you have on YOUR FMC.

Where is your FMC ? Please update the Coach Data Base. If we knew where your FMC was . . . some other FMCer may be NEARBY and might have already done his brakes and could share that "story" with you.
Sorry I could not be more helpful, but all FMCers are in the same box.
Press ON ! Lou #120
Cstock
Posted 2019-08-28 5:22 PM (#6759 - in reply to #6758)

Contributor

"No one is likely to develop a new and improved $400 Saddle for a $20 Mule . . . no matter how "cool" the MULE looks. (lipstick on Pigs ?)" thanks for cheering me up, that about made me fall out of my chair but unfortunately is true
velcro
Posted 2019-09-02 6:34 PM (#6771 - in reply to #6737)

Contributor

I just completely redid mine with over the counter parts. Brake shoes were relined. I can give part no's but I will have to go thru some ppwrk to get them if you are still looking. Let me know.
hemi354az
Posted 2019-09-02 9:28 PM (#6773 - in reply to #6771)

Extreme Veteran

Please, SHARE the Part Numbers and source and cost . . .
Thx !
Lou #120
Cstock
Posted 2019-09-04 10:31 AM (#6774 - in reply to #6771)

Contributor

Thanks
velcro
Posted 2019-09-04 5:20 PM (#6775 - in reply to #6737)

Contributor

I installed 8 wheel cyls #wc28661 at $50 ea.. ,4 brake hoses # 36683 at $48.00 ea. this moves the inner connector outside. On the outside I connected a 8" and a 12" 1/4 flare steel brake lines to the brake hoses. a 1/4 in bolt welded to the backing plate to secure the hose if desired. I also installed a larger master cylinder part # mc39017. at $70.00 . Being a canadian all prices are canadian so about 40% more than would be for you. Gotta Love it .. have about 4000 miles since , work real fine . Also be sure to use dot 5 brake fluid to keep cylinders in good shape.
Cstock
Posted 2019-09-05 4:01 PM (#6787 - in reply to #6775)

Contributor

fantastic thanks
fcrives3
Posted 2019-10-21 1:12 PM (#6984 - in reply to #6737)

Regular

If you have # 1034 it should have the big disc brakes all the way around it it was a custom job done in Greensboro NC
Cstock
Posted 2019-10-23 9:34 AM (#6989 - in reply to #6737)

Contributor

Yes I have 1034 but it has the original drum brakes all the way around but I do wish you had been right.
fcrives3
Posted 2020-03-09 10:06 AM (#7185 - in reply to #6737)

Regular

I stand corrected on my previous post you are correct the coach # I was referring to was #1037 my apologies.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)