Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

dkarnath
Posted 2019-08-26 2:33 PM (#6736)
Subject: #324

Elite Veteran

#324 showed up at my house this weekend, it was having smoking rear brake issues. I'm going to share some pictures of the rig and what I find. It has a pretty white and blue paint job, and some pretty nice custom interior work. I started an album

http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
andy1canada
Posted 2019-08-26 5:25 PM (#6738 - in reply to #6736)
Subject: Re: #324

Elite Veteran

She's a beauty alright Dan... are you going to make an offer on it? ;-)

You prolly already know this but I'll say it regardless: check that it's either the small master cylinder (with the pressure relief valves in the output ports) together with the small H-vacs, or, if the brakes have been upgraded, it has the large master cyl with the large H-vacs. Mixing them up, ie. large master with small H-vacs and vice-versa yields either two too many pressure relief valves or none at all.

Looking forward to hearing what you find.

Good luck,
Terry
dkarnath
Posted 2019-08-27 12:58 PM (#6746 - in reply to #6736)

Elite Veteran

I posted a couple more pics in the album.

http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=200&p...
dkarnath
Posted 2019-08-27 1:29 PM (#6747 - in reply to #6736)

Elite Veteran

Terry, I will be attending the Oakridge Rally in 324! You should come with your car and hang. I have a month to get confident in 324's ability to safely take me too and fro for a 3 hour drive. I have some work to do.
andy1canada
Posted 2019-08-27 3:45 PM (#6748 - in reply to #6747)

Elite Veteran

So, did you buy this sucker or what? Got family commitments and won't be able to make it, regardless.

I'm curious about the pic of the master you posted. I thought the ones that were 'round' at both ends were the early ones? Mine is the later version and is squared on the small reservoir end and only slightly rounded on the other, closest to the firewall.

I guess checking the output ports for the presence of pressure relief valves would cinch it for you.

Yeah, weak pedal return spring(s) can cause issues; pedal has to come all the way off. Learned that from Billy years back.

Terry
B. Sitton
Posted 2019-08-27 8:20 PM (#6752 - in reply to #6736)

Extreme Veteran

I have a box of the original brake pedal return springs. Pedal assembly has to come apart to replace the spring.
Bill
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2019-08-27 8:25 PM (#6753 - in reply to #6752)

Expert

B. Sitton - 2019-08-27 6:20 PM I have a box of the original brake pedal return springs. Pedal assembly has to come apart to replace the spring. Bill

my pedal doesn't come all the way up on its own. I lift it with my foot. I think I need one of those springs! Bring to rally.
B. Sitton
Posted 2019-08-27 9:23 PM (#6754 - in reply to #6753)

Extreme Veteran

First lube the area where the stop light switch contacts the pedal bracket. I used door ease, a waxish stick and it fixed my pedal return issue.
Bill
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2019-08-28 10:00 AM (#6755 - in reply to #6736)

Expert

It doesn’t always get that high up and will leave the the stop lights on.
dkarnath
Posted 2019-08-28 11:09 AM (#6756 - in reply to #6755)

Elite Veteran

Yeah, we might be needing some return springs....The new MC was delivered today, I'll get it in this weekend....

Terry Terry Terry, Im not sure about buying.....lol
byegorge
Posted 2019-08-28 10:50 PM (#6760 - in reply to #6736)

Veteran

Dan:
Remember to check the boosters my front hung up causing the brakes to smoke one end only. Removing vacuum released the brakes.
dkarnath
Posted 2019-08-28 10:58 PM (#6761 - in reply to #6760)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the tip George
dkarnath
Posted 2019-08-29 10:08 AM (#6762 - in reply to #6736)

Elite Veteran

Here's the new small master cylinder for the record books again....

BigRabbitMan
Posted 2019-08-30 8:54 AM (#6765 - in reply to #6736)

Expert

Does it come with new residual pressure regulators?
dkarnath
Posted 2019-08-30 11:46 AM (#6766 - in reply to #6736)

Elite Veteran

Yes sir
hemi354az
Posted 2019-08-30 5:40 PM (#6767 - in reply to #6766)

Extreme Veteran

The FMC "Small Hydrovac" Master Cylinder #36359 I have just has a Check Valve in each discharge port.
Guess I didn't get everything it was supposed to come with . . .
Lou #120
dkarnath
Posted 2019-08-30 5:46 PM (#6768 - in reply to #6736)

Elite Veteran

I can feel them inside the discharge port with a paper clip.
andy1canada
Posted 2019-08-30 6:02 PM (#6769 - in reply to #6736)

Elite Veteran

They might be 'packing-worms' Dan. Sometimes they wiggle in there at the factory.

Gotta' check and be sure. Hold a small glass of sour-milk about 3 inches away from each port - for a minimum of 1/2 hour for each side - and if nothing pokes its head out then they're actually check valves.

This works way-better than the paper clip method. We do it up here in Canada all the time.

Please let us know how you made out, with the worms I mean.

Terry
dkarnath
Posted 2019-09-09 10:39 AM (#6799 - in reply to #6736)

Elite Veteran

Added some more pics to the album. This weekend I spent quite a few hours working on the rig, got a lot done really. I've now have pretty good brake peddle after installing the correct MC, bleeding the system and adjusting all four brakes. I may end up finding some poor ol' soul in Oakridge to help me peddle bleed a quart or so through the system, I know they could be a little better, still an air bubble in there somewhere. 324 had a timing skip when turning over the engine to start it and the engine didn't sound as good as I knew it could,(you'll see the spark plug picture I posted!). I knew tuning need to be done. So moving on in my quest for a decent tune, I found the vacuum advance diaphragm was blown in the dizzy and the timing was set to 14 degrees BTDC. It was perfect "timing" haha..for me to find this brand new distributor locked away in one of the storage cabinets in 324!! Score! I put the new distributor in, timed the engine to about 9 degrees. I had to increase the idle a little on the carb and tune the idle air screws. I went for a drive and it had a dead spot off idle. I knew right away it was the advance tension/spring adjustment, I forgot to "soften" it up. I backed the adjustment WAY off. So far it seems to have a nice transition.
Tires arrived and I started installing the new 55amp AC/DC converter.
I won't be cleaning this...New one on the way.
andy1canada
Posted 2019-09-09 10:55 AM (#6801 - in reply to #6736)

Elite Veteran

Cool daddy... very cool!

Terry
darrelldubree
Posted 2019-09-13 3:25 PM (#6821 - in reply to #6799)

Contributor

dkarnath - 2019-09-09 10:39 AM

Added some more pics to the album. This weekend I spent quite a few hours working on the rig, got a lot done really. I've now have pretty good brake peddle after installing the correct MC, bleeding the system and adjusting all four brakes. I may end up finding some poor ol' soul in Oakridge to help me peddle bleed a quart or so through the system, I know they could be a little better, still an air bubble in there somewhere. 324 had a timing skip when turning over the engine to start it and the engine didn't sound as good as I knew it could,(you'll see the spark plug picture I posted!). I knew tuning need to be done. So moving on in my quest for a decent tune, I found the vacuum advance diaphragm was blown in the dizzy and the timing was set to 14 degrees BTDC. It was perfect "timing" haha..for me to find this brand new distributor locked away in one of the storage cabinets in 324!! Score! I put the new distributor in, timed the engine to about 9 degrees. I had to increase the idle a little on the carb and tune the idle air screws. I went for a drive and it had a dead spot off idle. I knew right away it was the advance tension/spring adjustment, I forgot to "soften" it up. I backed the adjustment WAY off. So far it seems to have a nice transition.
Tires arrived and I started installing the new 55amp AC/DC converter.
I won't be cleaning this...New one on the way.

Hello Dan Just so you will know the system should have silicon brake fluid unless it has been changed since 2015. The distributor came brand new from Napa. Glad it is helping someone out. That box of parts road around under there for 13 years and I don't think I ever used any on the road. lol I am glad to see the old girl is still alive and still in motion. Take care Darrell D
dkarnath
Posted 2019-09-16 1:46 PM (#6825 - in reply to #6821)

Elite Veteran

Ummm, what happens when DOT3 is mixed into a system that had DOT5?? I have no idea what type of fluid was in it? Is it going to blow up?

This weekend was replace the transmission pan gasket, it was just done at a mechanics shop, but the leak look to be the new gasket? So I did the job myself and I still have the same leak....So I pulled out the degreaser and started really cleaning the upper side of the transmission, it's now raining, so might be a couple days before I investigate more, it might be leaking down from the tail shaft housing area..I replaced the passenger side valve cover gasket. The steering wheel was installed upside down, so I rotated it back, I oiled the bathroom vanity mirror hinges, they were binding some and making it so the closing magnet didn't want to keep them closed when you drove, we'll see if it works. Fixed the left rear tail light, bad bulb. Need to fix the license plate light, front right low/high beam headlight and the drivers side door step light is out. I was hearing a buzzing sound from the house AC climate control box area above the closet? I took the face plate off and found the metal box where all the electrical hides for the AC units didn't have the front cover installed tightly, I think I fixed it. I scrubbed the roof, I just did a half a$$ job, it was raining out and I got soaked. Took it for a drive, the motor gets fairly smoky at heat soak after shut down, not sure if it's just burning off degreaser and old oil? or more oil leaks yet to be discovered. It drove almost as nice as 850 drove. I still need to take 324 to the tire shop and put the new rubber on it. I haven't had a chance to inspect the front end yet. The hot water service line has a blockage somewhere, and I also discovered it has an electric element in the hot water heater and it was turned on and the tank was warm to the touch??? Whoh, new discovery! I filled the system with water a couple weeks ago, but before that???? How long was the element on without water if 324 was plugged into 110? The hot water that came out of the tank stinks like burnt $hit, I'm going to drain it and maybe take a look at it. I'm figuring out what switch does what and etc...so making progress. Other than leaving a couple small oil leaks on the ground, Im going to say it's mechanically ready for me to drive a few hundred miles to Oakridge. The exhaust system needs to be replaced, the HUGE muffler is broken inside it creating a rattle, it has one broken/cracked manifold. Right now Im bummed about the DOT5 vs DOT3.
hemi354az
Posted 2019-09-16 2:13 PM (#6826 - in reply to #6825)

Extreme Veteran

DO NOT MIX DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 4.5, DOT 5.1 with DOT 5 BRAKE FLUID !
IT WILL CREATE A GOO THAT WILL PREVENT THE BRAKES FROM WORKING AT ALL !
Now you must FLUSH, FLUSH, FLUSH the COMPLETE BRAKE SYSTEM with alcohol. MC, Brake Switch, both H-Vacs, all eight wheel cylinders and ALL THE LINES IN BETWEEN. No options, no easy way to do it. Break all those lines open and FLUSH, FLUSH, FLUSH !
You may use Brake Cleaner . . . but Alcohol is cheaper . . . or use BOTH.
DOT 5 is BLUE in color . . . that should have been your first clue.
I recommend, and so does the United States Army, DOT 5 Brake Fluid for FMCs.
The US Army has a lot more vehicles than FMC Owners . . . and that is all they use in their trucks. They paid for DOT 5 development/testing and incorporating it into their "Fleet" WORLDWIDE !
ALCOHOL FLUSH ON ! Lou #120

ps: got more info on Tranny Leak. Will start a new thread and some pictures on that soon.

Edited by hemi354az 2019-09-16 2:20 PM
darrelldubree
Posted 2019-09-16 2:23 PM (#6827 - in reply to #6825)

Contributor

Dan, does it still have the pan with the cooling pipes through the bottom ? I had good luck with the newer style gaskets. The black plastic that has the oring material inbedded in the plastic. More expensive, but I could get several season of fluid changing, out of one gasket and no leaks. Not as sensitive to overtighting as the cork ones do. That old muffler would rattle on me occasionally. I started to change it out, but it stopped rattling and I liked the sound it had. Hit a mean lick while idling. Especially right before you kicked the choke off. Lol
darrelldubree
Posted 2019-09-16 2:35 PM (#6828 - in reply to #6826)

Contributor

Make a vacuum sucker with one of those large pickle jars. Put a ball valve to control vacuum through the metal lid. One more opening to hook your vacuum line to bleeders, line ends or whatever. Hook an automotive or any type of refrigeration vacuum pump to the pickle jar. Hook vacuum hose from pickle jar to bleeders. Farthest away from master cylinder. Suck out all the existing fluid from all bleeders. Then repeat by pouring alcohol into the master cylinder as it sucks it through the system and cleans out the old fluid. When alcohol looks clean. Just let the sucker empty the system again and allow the vacuum to boil off the alcohol residue in the system. Make sure to empty pickle jar before you suck it into you vacuum pump. Also, you do not need a real deep vacuum to do this. Good luck. Worked for me in 2002. I can send pics if needed.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)