Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

#846 Cummins Swap.
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 7 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

BigRabbitMan
Posted 2019-06-02 3:10 PM (#6483 - in reply to #6035)
Subject: Re: #846 Cummins Swap.

Elite Veteran

Yes, but only a negligible amount.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-06-03 9:45 AM (#6484 - in reply to #6035)

Elite Veteran

Stephen is correct on all points. Shocks(in our application) are not load bearing "suspension" they are dampening devices. You only need to size air bags for the amount of "assist" you want, the original suspension is still carrying all that always has. I've never come close to running my bags anywhere near their max pressure/load rating and that's with towing a heavy load that was putting a solid 600lbs of tongue weight down on the rear.

Edited by LCAC_Man 2019-06-03 9:46 AM
andy1canada
Posted 2019-08-06 9:08 AM (#6673 - in reply to #6035)

Extreme Veteran

Howdy,

Been real busy with life lately but have managed to make a little more headway on the coach of late. Hard to make time it seems.

My brother in law made it over a couple of weeks back and we got going on the trans rebuild (47RH). We got the front section done except for the valve-body. Upgraded to a heavier duty reverse and 2nd gear band as well as other parts. Also got a killer shift-kit to put in that I'll get the tech at my trans-shop to do. This kit should raise line pressures and extend the life of the trans some. I'll also get them to do the overdrive section - with the notorious 800/lb direct clutch spring. When they take the overdrive apart, I'll run the output shaft to a local shop to have it drilled & tapped to bolt on the 'Sitton-Cruse' modified FMC yoke so I can bolt the works right up to the stock FMC slip-yoke drive shaft. Scored me a brake-drum style (23 spline) yoke for free on the weekend, well, not exactly 'free' - had to drive nearly an hour each way then climb under an old Winnie for a bit but it was worth it I figure.

Yesterday I got a little more done on removing the engine AC from the coach. Compressor is out and I pulled all three refrigerant lines out that run from the engine house to the front of the coach. Still got all the stuff in the front to rip out. Once the evaporator is out of there I'm going to install the 40 gal forward water tank (early style) that I got from my buddy Jay in Wa. This will give us sufficient water capacity for back-country forays and provide a good extra forward-ballast option if required.

If it's not obvious yet, I'm going with a single roof-air unit that will be run off our new inverter I picked up recently (Go Power: 3000 watt). Will add a second high-output alternator as well. Another one of Lenny's great ideas.

My goal is to get the engine, trans, new rad, intercooler, oil/trans coolers in sometime this season (before Christmas) so we can at least use the coach. Next year will be the disc brake/hydro-boost conversion with the 22.5 Alcoas. Then if there's anything left in the kitty - a paint job. Thinking of buying an HVLP set up to DIY.

Won't feel too bad at all seeing the last of the H-vacs in our coach.

Terry
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-08-06 10:15 AM (#6674 - in reply to #6035)

Elite Veteran

Later this fall I'm going to be making some changes to my brake system (while finally installing my new drums and getting shoes relined). I'm going to completely split my rear brake control/boost from the front. I'll be using an electric power steering pump system and another hydroboost/MC for my rear only brakes and leaving what I have for fronts only. This puts me in a position to move to much larger (volume) calipers at a later date (if I ever get to that).
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-11-11 9:12 AM (#7056 - in reply to #6035)

Elite Veteran

Wanted to be the first to wish your engine swap project a "happy birthday"!
andy1canada
Posted 2019-11-11 11:41 AM (#7058 - in reply to #6035)

Extreme Veteran

Go ahead... rub-it-in!

However, do have some progress on my airbag mounts and will try to post today if I get time. Building Solo a new doghouse today.

Terry
andy1canada
Posted 2020-06-29 11:14 AM (#7410 - in reply to #6035)
Subject: RE: #846 Cummins Swap.

Extreme Veteran

Air-spring install update.

Finally got my air-bags done!
Pics here if anyone's interested: http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid...

If anyone needs any clarification or better pics, you know what to do.

Now onto the engine & trans.

Hope ya'all stay healthy & happy.

Terry
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 7 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software