Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forced Induction
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

Darren
Posted 2017-03-10 11:52 AM (#4449)
Subject: Forced Induction

Contributor

I have a feeling I'm going to be lambasted for even mentioning this, but I am wondering if anyone has considered putting a supercharger or turbocharger on their 440I to improve uphill performance? I assume it would be hard on the drivetrain, but wanted to know thoughts and/or experiences.

Thanks,

Darren
Top of the page Bottom of the page
B. Sitton
Posted 2017-03-10 12:32 PM (#4450 - in reply to #4449)
Subject: Re: Forced Induction

Extreme Veteran

When I bought #902 it was turbocharged.
http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=25&ph...
Previous owner had pistons replaced but wrong piston rings were used. Burned oil like crazy but ran great until the engine and turbo gave out. Still limped over the top of the world a few times with next to no compression. When it was running with most of its compression you could pass everything going up the hills including safe engine temperature. 5 pounds of boost really wakes up the 440.
The kit was sold by RV Turbo. Someday another turbo may find its way back into one of my coaches.
Bill
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2017-03-10 1:02 PM (#4452 - in reply to #4449)

Expert

As Bill states, turbo charging the 440 was done a long time ago. I know at least one had dual units. I understand it went like crazy, but wore out U-joints due to the forces. As you add power, you also add heat so adding power is only half of the consideration that needs to be addressed if making changes from the stock configuration.
Darren
Posted 2017-03-10 1:51 PM (#4453 - in reply to #4450)

Contributor

B. Sitton - 2017-03-11 10:32 AM

When I bought #902 it was turbocharged.
http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=25&ph...
Previous owner had pistons replaced but wrong piston rings were used. Burned oil like crazy but ran great until the engine and turbo gave out. Still limped over the top of the world a few times with next to no compression. When it was running with most of its compression you could pass everything going up the hills including safe engine temperature. 5 pounds of boost really wakes up the 440.
The kit was sold by RV Turbo. Someday another turbo may find its way back into one of my coaches.
Bill

Bill, was that a single turbo or dual? If single, how was the intake/exhaust routed? Have you ever heard/seen of anyone putting a centrifugal supercharger on one?

Darren
B. Sitton
Posted 2017-03-10 2:46 PM (#4454 - in reply to #4453)

Extreme Veteran

The intake used a housing under the carb that flowed to the blue fitting on the front of turbo in the picture the link goes to. The red hose is air/fuel charge return to housing under carb, then into intake manifold. Exhaust has a pipe running from one exhaust manifold flange, under oil pan to the other manifold flange. Exits side of manifold directly into turbo, then out of turbo into 180 degree pipe to muffler in stock location.
No I haven't seen any kind of supercharged FMC.
Bill
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-03-10 9:10 PM (#4455 - in reply to #4454)

Elite Veteran

A small turbo makes a lot of sense, particularly to compensate for high altitude power losses, underbody mounting would keep the heat out of the engine bay.
https://www.google.com/search?q=turbo+underbody+mount&tbm=is...
hemi354az
Posted 2017-03-10 10:19 PM (#4456 - in reply to #4455)

Extreme Veteran

I've done lots of Turbos. No matter what you do . . . A FMC 2900R will not FLY. THE WINGS ARE TOO SHORT !
Dream ON ! Lou #120
byegorge
Posted 2017-03-11 12:48 AM (#4457 - in reply to #4449)

Veteran

Yea Lou but were they remote mounted in the back of the plane?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)