Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best Deals on Coleman Mach 8 Roof A/C's
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

LCAC_Man
Posted 2016-05-06 6:39 PM (#3453)
Subject: Best Deals on Coleman Mach 8 Roof A/C's

Elite Veteran

I've done a bunch of research on the best roof units to install on my coach. I've settled on Coleman Mach 8's. They are very low profile (only 8" tall) and are well reviewed and are made in USA.
I'm going with a 9200 btu unit up front, just behind the driving seats and that will replace the dash a/c that I've removed, I want a small/lower power consumption unit there as I want to be able to use my 4000w inverter/battery bank/275a secondary alt to power it vice running the generator. In the current mid coach position I'm going with the 13500btu heat pump unit. I'm very likely going to remove the propane furnace altogether. If I need addition heat I'll carry one of the heat dish style electric units.
The downside to these coleman units is that they aren't the cheapest out there.
Does anyone know of/have a connection for good prices on these?

The 9.2K is on this page: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-air-conditioners/coleman-mach...

The 13.5k heat pump unit is on this page: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-air-conditioners/coleman-mach...

Beyond the price of the roof units I'll have to buy the ceiling duct/controllers, it turns into $2000 pretty quick.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
andy1canada
Posted 2016-05-07 1:05 AM (#3454 - in reply to #3453)
Subject: Re: Best Deals on Coleman Mach 8 Roof A/C's

Elite Veteran

Curious why you've ditched the dash AC? My Brother in Law and I recharged my unit in #846 and it blows serious cold - front & rear.

Terry
LCAC_Man
Posted 2016-05-07 7:12 AM (#3455 - in reply to #3453)

Elite Veteran

Quite a few factors drove me that direction:
1. The engine driven system only works when the engine is running, so for all that weight an myriad connections you still need an electric unit for when you're parked/camping.
2. My engine driven system was completely dry/depressurized when I got it, I can't imagine the amount of time/effort/expense it would have taken to reestablish it.
3. I'm using my engine A/C compressor as the air compressor for the air bag suspension system.
4. The redundancy/maintainability of roof units (can be purchased/serviced by any RV outfit) make them a much more reliable choice.
5. I already have one roof A/C (it's just old) and the original interior mounted electric system had been removed by a previous owner.
6. New units are designed to work with modern (less expensive) refrigerant that is also much more available if I want to service them myself.
andy1canada
Posted 2016-05-07 9:47 AM (#3456 - in reply to #3453)

Elite Veteran

Okay. I knew you'd have a reason and that sensibility would figure in it; just wanted to hear it :-)

Although I don't have the type of refrigerant we pumped into mine handy, I do know it was of the environmentally friendly variety and readily available. My brother in law had the right tool to pressurize the system - to verify no leaks - and I was surprised how easy it was to do the job. Used my cheap $20 Costco infa-red heat gun to verify temp. Colder'n a witches tit!

Terry
5Dollar
Posted 2016-05-07 10:45 AM (#3457 - in reply to #3456)

Veteran

It cost me almost $4,000 to have my auto air system completely rebuilt, including a new rotary compressor. If I had to do it over, I think I would go with two ceiling heat pumps. I also have the two original house ACs in the coach. I think I had rather have just a roof AC system with the extra storage. In SC, you would need two ACs. In one of my coaches, I am putting in a 15k BTU heat pump unit in the front and a 13.5k BTU unit in the rear. If you think this is too much AC, come to SC in August and drive into the sun. The reason this is the Bible Belt is that we are annually given a taste of the temperature of hell. Henry
LCAC_Man
Posted 2016-05-10 4:55 PM (#3460 - in reply to #3457)

Elite Veteran

Pulled the trigger on these today. Made a slight adjustment and didn't go with the heat pump unit. After looking at my furnace again I found that it had been replaced with a newer unit so I'm going to work with it.
Total for both the 13.5k and 9.2kbtu top units and two ceiling units was $1675 shipped. I used AdventureRV.net...we'll see in about a week when they arrive..
LCAC_Man
Posted 2016-05-20 11:35 AM (#3480 - in reply to #3453)

Elite Veteran

Round one is a fail. Both units arrived damaged...we'll see how they do on round two..
dkarnath
Posted 2016-05-23 8:25 AM (#3481 - in reply to #3480)

Elite Veteran

"I don't care, it aint mine, throw it in the truck".....
LCAC_Man
Posted 2016-06-07 1:34 PM (#3505 - in reply to #3453)

Elite Veteran

I took 3 attempts but I now have two new undamaged roof air conditioners! Glad I ordered them earlier than I needed!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)