|You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )|
|#846 - Cummins Swap|
|Author: andy1canada (Show all albums)|
Going to give this another try as my first attempt didn't go so well on the 'Diner-conversion' thread (Will update/edit that soon).
Started my Cummins swap by pulling off the bumper; only took better part of an hour. That sucker is HEAVY! Better part of a 100 lbs I bet. Will be looking to knock substantial weight off that baby while still retaining a 5000 lb towing standard.
This will take a while as it will unfold as time and resources permit, so please be patient.
More pics and hopefully some videos (FMC-TV) to follow.
Starboard side mount. This was stupid easy as I simply welded a gusseted angle-bracket right onto the chassis frame.
I was forced to improvise another perch for the rad angle-strut on this side in order to clear the CAC piping. Yeah-yeah... I'm still working on the birdsnest of wiring, but it's coming along.
Toggle switch I chose for the overdrive & converter lockup solenoid cockpit controls. Cole Hersee toggle switch #54109-BP. Dual colour toggle. 4 - terminals.
This switch can have up to 6 terminals. This one has 4. This schematic gave me full independent control over both solenoids with lighted switches whether they're off or on. I did bridge both #4's to a key-on positive and did the same with the #3's to ground both trans wires.
This 3-gang switch holder had the other 3-pole switches in it (see the one on the left) that didn't work for me. Got the assembly for just over $10/bucks at our local Princess Auto (Canada's 'Harbour Freight') I liked the chromed switch guards that prevent accidental contact with the switches. With only slight modification (grinding with a Dremel stone) the Cole Hersee's switches dropped right into it. I chose the location as it's only a few inches off my right knee. After putting a few miles on the coach I have to say I'm extremely happy with my choice to run with these switches to control the 47RH. The Lucite switches are lit-up white when off and red when on and are prominent in your peripheral vision while driving. Will comment more on this later after I put some more miles on her.
UPDATE: Been remiss to post this so I'm playin' catch-up here. My choice to use some U-channel material I had kicking around to then weld into a box-channel for the trailing arm air-spring mounts, came back to bite me in short order. You can see in this pic how much the deflection load bent the one on the left. Fortunately, I designed the upper forward mount for these arms to easily be bolted/unbolted to for servicing. So a year or two ago now I finally decided to use the heavier (much heavier) box channel on the left to get busy and build new ones. It required drilling through oversized bolt access holes to get at the bag-mount nuts.
Pieces cut up and ready to weld.
Ready for paint.
|Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software|
© 2002-2023 PD9 Software
|(Delete all cookies set by this site)|