|You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )|
|The Dieselfication of Coach 1046|
|Author: BigRabbitMan (Show all albums)|
This album is dedicated to following the process of Coach #1046 being converted from a 1976 Chrysler 440-I with a 4spd Allison AT540 transmission to a 2006 GMC Duramax LBZ turbo diesel with a 6spd Allison 1000 double overdrive transmission. There is a companion discussion thread in the Mechanic's Corner section of the Forum area of this site.
Here Eric is removing fuses and relays that will not be used from the fuse box. A lot of stuff such as lights, turn signals, etc. that went through this fuse box will not be used as they are separate systems with the FMC. The wiring harnesses will also be stripped down to what we need.
If you look at the big round disc that separates the right hand portion from the left hand portion of this harness, you have found where the fire wall separated the engine compartment portion of this harness from the interior of the cab portion of the harness. The portion of the left side that will be used will be moved to the front of the coach and will have about 30 ft of wire inserted into the harness.
This is what held the fuse/relay board on the donor unit's left fender under the hood. I trimmed stuff off of the bottom to make it fit a flat surface vs the curved surface of the pickup fender. The top cover has the fuse diagram with identification of the ciruits. The extension on the right was later removed as well.
This area was cleaned up as previously the vacuum, power steering, AC hoses and most electrical lines came into this area.
A platform was created to hold the fuse block unit. Note that a hole was provided to be able to access the bleed valve on the brake hydraboost unit that is being covered up.
The base is bolted down.
The weather enclosure is added.
And the lid is placed on top. It is now ready to receive the fuse board and all its connections while maintaining good accessibility.
The Duramax does not use a lift pump in its OEM installation. It draws the fuel up with the main high pressure pump. I have added a centrifial lift pump down low on the frame that will generate 4# of pressure. In this position the pump has a flooded intake as it is below the level of the fuel tank.
From the lift pump, the fuel will go to the OEM fuel filter assembly which also has a manual priming pump on the top and a water sensor on the bottom. I moved it from the bracket that you see on the right to the firewall. It would not fit in the standard location and it is now more assesable as well. The stock filter is a 10 micron filter. I will be adding a second filter downstream of this one that is a 2 micron filter.
It was time to drop in the first of two batteries. I needed to have the battery there as I will be designing the brackets that will hold the engine control module (ECM) and transmission comtrol module (TCM) in the area to the right of the battery. Also, a stand will be designed that will support the water-to-air intercooler about 2 ft above the battery. The stand will probably use the battery support frame as its base.
Today was fuel tank day! It was time to put the new stainless steel fuel tank (shown in earlier photos) into the coach. It was a very tight fit but with the help of Mark H. and Larry E., a floor jack and much wiggling and jiggling we got the tank lifted up into the very tight compartment. Mark is on the left and Larry on the right.
|Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software|
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software
|(Delete all cookies set by this site)|