Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

BATTERY CHARGING ALERT...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> DiscussionMessage format

andy1canada
Posted 2017-10-30 8:29 PM (#5126)
Subject: BATTERY CHARGING ALERT...

(75.155.181.152)
Couple days back my carbon monoxide alarm (CO) sounded off and when I entered the coach I could detect the faint smell of rotten eggs; it was worse in the front of the coach. I ventilated the coach to shut the alarm up then figured I'd look into it more so the following day (yesterday) as I was planning to swap out both the upper and lower rad hoses in preparation for yet another run over the infamous Hwy #4 to Tofino on the Thanksgiving long weekend (Nov 11th).

Yesterday as I was working on the coach I noticed the rotten egg smell was substantially worse. Again, I ventilated the coach, took the batteries out of my CO alarm and then after the new hoses were on, I took it for a good test run. All good with the cooling system, I parked the coach for the night with extra windows open intending to get to the bottom of the 'stink-thing' first thing this morning before work.

Bad decision!

When I first went out this morning to investigate I could smell the 'smell' from six feet away from the coach. This was alarming. I entered the side door and was instantly struck by a couple of good whiffs of the stuff; instantly I had trouble breathing and quickly stumbled out of the coach. After collecting myself in the fresh air for a few minutes I went around to the drivers door and opened it to focus on the house batteries.

Immediately I could hear hissing from beneath the cover and the lid was warm to the touch. I thought, 'This is dynamite!'

I turned away and grabbed my full-face mask, gloves, and a couple of wrenches to get the batteries disconnected. Didn't think to UNPLUG the coach. Funny how you forget things under duress.

Two or three of the cells were off-gassing so severely, gas was steaming out like a kettle. There was moisture (sulfuric acid no doubt) everywhere and as I struggled to get the batteries disconnected, I felt like one of those 'bomb-techs' trying to diffuse an IED.

These two (now thoroughly cooked) 6-volt Trojans are older, but were holding a charge just fine and I serviced both of them only 3 months ago. Go figure.

I'm running a Progressive Dynamics (45 amp) converter with a 'Charge Wizard'.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/pd9200-series-rv-...

These converter/chargers are reputed to be among the best units out there and are supposed to have built-in over-charging safeguards so these sorts of things don't happen.

I'll be contacting these guys to find out WTF is going on with my 'super-safe' (NOT!) PD charge controller.

I've since learned a few things about charging batteries and how important it is to make certain your battery compartment is WELL VENTILATED. I'm also going to look at the ventilation on my house battery compartment as I believe the design is lacking. It needs to breath better to the outside and be securely sealed-off from the living quarters.

In my case, HYDROGEN SULFIDE was the culprit and I was some STUPID to be breathing any of it.

If it helps any of you out there to read the following, then maybe some good will come of it:

http://goodforgas.com/hazardous-gases-associated-lead-acid-battery-...

Happy Motoring,
Terry

Edited by andy1canada 2017-10-30 8:58 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-10-30 9:15 PM (#5127 - in reply to #5126)
Subject: Re: BATTERY CHARGING ALERT...

(172.10.134.245)
How long do you leave it plugged in and charging at a time?
andy1canada
Posted 2017-10-30 9:22 PM (#5128 - in reply to #5126)

(75.155.181.152)
Always. The PD units are meant to maintain them long term. Least that's what they say at the point of sale.

Terry
byegorge
Posted 2017-10-31 7:07 AM (#5129 - in reply to #5126)

(71.231.209.250)
My coach is all original and I leave it plugged in except when under way. Batteries (2x12v) are going on 5 years with zero problems.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-10-31 8:05 AM (#5130 - in reply to #5129)

(172.10.134.245)
how old were you batteries?
long term "maintainier" chargers are great...as long as they are working right. In the end they are just like every other electronic device that fails, it may be that the controller isn't shifting off of the fast charge to the maintainer levels..
I've never had good luck with them, I've just decided that installing disconnect switches on the negative lead and turning them off when not in use is a better solution for me. Of course I live in a area where temperature is very stable and an idle battery can sit for very long periods with little degradation.
I just fire it up and run it for an hour every few weeks then immediately shut down/ disconnect..
I think if you're going to leave it plugged in full time using a very low power trickle charger(or one that can be tuned to put out something less than 13v) like a "Battery Tender" might serve you better.
andy1canada
Posted 2017-10-31 8:52 AM (#5131 - in reply to #5126)

(75.155.181.152)
I don't recall exactly how old they are; I bought them used (couple yrs old) about six yrs ago.

If you have a look at the PD link I included you'll see these things are supposed to be 'battery tenders' and damn expensive ones at that.

If things go as planned I'll only be doing one or two more trips this fall/winter before the engine comes out, so I'll throw a couple of decent 12 volt deep cycles I have kicking around at it and make do with that for now.

Len, I really like what you did with your forward battery house mod, after you ditched your complete auto/AC system, another idea of yours I really liked. I might also look at a way to incorporate my front spare-tire mount into an aluminum 'bush bar' set up with a winch and house battery accommodation. I'm also a firm believer in the 'weight-forward' mantra, especially since I'm looking at tossing a Cummins at the butt-ski of my coach.

George: you unplug your coach when you leave? Mine came with an 'auto-disconnect' feature; just drive away an' it unplugs... works like a hot-damn!

Terry
dkarnath
Posted 2017-10-31 9:17 AM (#5132 - in reply to #5131)

(204.10.247.1)
Real men breath Hydrogen Sulfide for breakfast....
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-11-01 8:39 AM (#5133 - in reply to #5132)

(172.10.134.245)
sounds like you just had old batteries...charger was probably sensing the low voltage and shifted into high gear to try and bring them back..
andy1canada
Posted 2017-11-02 8:12 PM (#5135 - in reply to #5126)

(75.155.181.152)
Things getting real strange now...

Finally got around to pulling out the two cooked 6-volts and decided to throw in one decent 12-volt deep cycle I had kicking around. Figured with only one or two short trips this fall/winter and we'll be plugged in, reserve capacity is not a huge issue right now.

Rinsed out the battery compartment, dried it out then drilled another 1/2 dozen or so ventilation holes in the aft panel for improved ventilation. I'll also replace the missing cover-latch to better secure the lid over the batteries.

Got a 'thing' for hydrogen sulfide now.

Before I hooked up the 12 volt I tested it: 12.3 volts.

After I hooked it up and plugged in the coach: 17.3 volts and climbing; heard gurgles coming from the battery. Freaked out and ran to unplug the coach.

Sending emails to Progressive Dynamics to see if they have any clues.

Will keep ya'all posted.

Terry
$846

byegorge
Posted 2017-11-03 7:01 AM (#5136 - in reply to #5126)

(71.231.209.250)
17.3 volts is definitely excessive! Double check the 12 volt battery make absolutely sure it is 'good' substitute another good working battery. Be sure and check the complete circuit ground side included looking for high resistance and voltage drops. When you pull the converter out connect it direct to the battery that will eliminate all possible circuit or connection problems leaving only the converter or battery at fault. My car has the opposite problem not enough voltage to keep the battery charged. Unless I'm monitoring the voltage then it stays right around 14 volts while I'm watching. I think my alternator brushes are on their last legs sometimes working sometimes not.
andy1canada
Posted 2017-11-03 8:05 AM (#5137 - in reply to #5126)

(75.155.181.152)
Thanks George. Hopefully chase this down this weekend.

Sounders sent my beloved Whitecaps golfing last night. Ouch!

Terry
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-11-03 8:35 AM (#5138 - in reply to #5126)

(172.10.134.245)
17 volts will cook a battery in no time...highest you'd ever want to see (on fast charge mode) would be 15-ish..
Like I said above, I've never had good luck with the "smart chargers" for more than short term use. My inverter has a built in multistage charger, I'm happy with it's performance when using the coach, but, it all gets shutdown when it's idle.
andy1canada
Posted 2017-11-04 9:55 AM (#5140 - in reply to #5126)

(75.155.181.152)
Appears I may have licked this issue. Many thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.

After accessing my converter for inspection - and being pleasantly surprised to discover I had a 60-amp unit vs the previous supposed 45 amp unit - I unhooked the primary ground wire from the unit and found the allen screw that holds it in place seemed loose somewhat. I unhooked the wire then hooked up another short 4-ft wire directly to the battery ground terminal. I plugged the coach back in to shore power then took a volt reading: 12.7 and climbing - slowly. I kept an eye on it over the next 1/2 hour or so till it appeared to level out @ around 13.3 volts. After reconnecting the primary ground wire I checked it again and so far all appears well.

Now I have to figure why my stereo quit. Got power to my head unit, power to the amp, but the head unit won't switch on. Will look at fuses and (of course) ground wire continuity.

Thanks,
Terry
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)