Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fridge cycling often/stopped working
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

Darren
Posted 2017-08-29 11:48 PM (#4915)
Subject: Fridge cycling often/stopped working

Contributor

Hello all, 

I've got an ac/dc fridge that has always cycled rather often. Lately, I observed it cycling on/off every few seconds. Then it stopped completely. The hot weather may have had something to do with that. This has all been occurring on AC while parked at home. 

I was able to start it again, but it still cycles every few seconds. What are your thoughts?  Bad part? Bad fridge? Dirty fridge?  

I'd like to avoid replacing it, but will need to take care of it before the Felton get-together. Wanted your thoughts. I'm going to pull it out this weekend to check it out. 

Thanks! Darren

Top of the page Bottom of the page
fmc708
Posted 2017-08-29 11:59 PM (#4916 - in reply to #4915)
Subject: Re: Fridge cycling often/stopped working

Veteran

Does it do the same thing when running on gas? (assuming it runs on gas too)
Darren
Posted 2017-08-30 12:23 AM (#4918 - in reply to #4916)

Contributor

fmc708 - 2017-08-30 9:59 PM Does it do the same thing when running on gas? (assuming it runs on gas too)

No gas, AC/DC only. I haven't tried it on DC lately. 

BigRabbitMan
Posted 2017-08-30 12:56 AM (#4920 - in reply to #4915)

Expert

As an AC/DC only refer it may be an original. If so, it's compressor actually operates on DC. Try it on DC and if it works it is the small converter within the refer that is the problem. I also have non-propane refer and had a cycling problem due to a poor ground connection. Pull it out and test it with good connections and see if it works ok. If it doesn't you are probably looking at getting a new refer.

If you need a new one, all electric ones are available but you probably will need to order it.
dkarnath
Posted 2017-08-30 10:05 AM (#4921 - in reply to #4915)

Elite Veteran

What model # fridge? They have pretty good trouble shooting advise on the web if you know the model.
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2017-08-30 10:33 AM (#4922 - in reply to #4915)

Expert

I would like to add that if a poor ground caused a low voltage situation which then caused the cycling (as mine did) it may have just caused a switch failure. Your test meter is your friend as Dan has pointed out.
dkarnath
Posted 2017-08-30 12:58 PM (#4923 - in reply to #4922)

Elite Veteran

You either have a Norcold DE-728 or DE-828. I have the 828, and it works great. We were just camping last weekend in Mt Shasta, it got to 100 degrees during the day at the coach in camp, and the old Norcold plugged away still keeping ice. It definitely ran more than normal due to the heat though..
Darren
Posted 2017-08-30 1:06 PM (#4924 - in reply to #4915)

Contributor

<p>I have the Norcold DE0061 AC/DC 7cuft model. I'll have to go check the records, but I believe Ron put it in rather recently (<8 yrs). I'm going to test it out on DC only and hope it is fixable. A new one of the same model seems to be $1300.</p><p>The owner's manual did say that it may shut off if the ambient temps exceeded 110 degrees F.  It has been at least that in the coach during the heat wave lately.  That is likely why it turned off and beeped recently, but does not explain the rapid cycling issue.</p>

Edited by Darren 2017-08-30 1:08 PM
dkarnath
Posted 2017-08-30 3:53 PM (#4926 - in reply to #4915)

Elite Veteran

Yes, the DE0061 is a direct fit replacement for the older DE-828 model. Looks like you can still buy parts for them. Not cheap though...
Darren
Posted 2017-08-31 1:03 PM (#4931 - in reply to #4915)

Contributor

Some new learning.

I turned on the roof fan and it spun very slowly. Aha... the house batteries must be low. I checked the gauge on the front panel and it read Green. But wait, I unplugged the coach from the house power and tried again. Now it read Yellow. I found the water level in my house batteries was extremely low. Each only showed ~3VDC. I topped each off with distilled water and plugged in the house power to charge. After an hour or so, they showed Green without the house power connected. The batteries may still not survive so I plan to have them tested at Batteries+ today.

With the house batteries reading Green, I tested the fridge again. It still cycles on/off every few seconds, on house power and/or house batteries. So it looks like there is a failure in the fridge somewhere as Stephen postulated.

I have an appointment at RV Center of Santa Cruz on Sat. to have them go over the fridge and charging system.
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2017-08-31 2:57 PM (#4933 - in reply to #4915)

Expert

Based on my previous experience, I strongly suspect low voltage across the refer. Bring in a good temporary ground wire from somewhere and check the voltage coming in. Should be 12+ volts. Check the voltage where it leaves the refer. It would be zero. Check the voltage from the input point to the output on the refer and it should be the same as the 12+ that you earlier measured to the known good ground. I had several cases of a poor ground affecting things in my coach, one of which was the refer. It did what yours is doing.
byegorge
Posted 2017-09-01 1:22 AM (#4936 - in reply to #4915)

Veteran

Make sure to test voltage while the fridge is running and under load. Often times voltage is fine with no load but not so much with a load.
Darren
Posted 2017-09-05 8:18 PM (#4955 - in reply to #4915)

Contributor

Thank you all for your guidance. Had a tech a the local RV shop take a look at it. He said the compressor is done and I could buy (expensive) replacement parts for it. He mentioned that it may not be worth it if something else, the same age, fails next. I don't want to take the chance of losing all the food again, so I decided to replace the fridge. It arrives next week and I should have just enough time to swap it out before the Felton get-together.

Darren

BigRabbitMan
Posted 2017-09-05 8:45 PM (#4956 - in reply to #4915)

Expert

Thank you for the status report.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software