Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

spark plugs and wires recommended
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

fcrives3
Posted 2017-07-29 8:12 AM (#4785)
Subject: spark plugs and wires recommended

Regular

Good morning all

I have 2 gas burners that I need to tune up and I am not sure what plugs and wires I should use my 75 was switched to fuel injection while my 76 still has the Thermo Quad carb on it any help or advise would be greatly appreciated as the wife is really desperate to start camping

Thank you

Chip Rives
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hemi354az
Posted 2017-07-29 4:02 PM (#4789 - in reply to #4785)
Subject: Re: spark plugs and wires recommended

Extreme Veteran

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-9001c/overview/ - routed around the ENDs of the heads.
Autolite 23 or 25 or equivalent if your head has the small 5/8 hex plug.
Autolite 85 or equivalent if your head has the large 13/16 hex plug.
Zap ON ! Lou #120
hemi354az
Posted 2017-07-29 5:30 PM (#4790 - in reply to #4789)

Extreme Veteran

more . . .
Plug wires -
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-9001c/overview/ -
routed around the ENDs of the heads. See - http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=21&ph... - to know what the END of the head means. ALL FOUR ENDS OF THE HEADS. (picture shows Jacobs wires which was bought by Accel couple of years ago). Use a clamp - https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-clamp-od-12-in-34-in-w-vinyl-pk50-c... - (you find fewer than 50 in a package) to hold two spark plug wires in place around the END of the head. Make sure you buy a clamp that has a bolt hole big enough for the 3/8-16 short bolt used for the clamp. Above the oil pump, there is a suitable unused bolt hole in the end of the block. Above the starter there is a unused bolt hole (actually 3) in the end of the head. Above the mechanical fuel pump, use one of the alternator bracket bolts for the plug wire clamp. At the transmission dipstick, use the last bolt in the intake manifold for the spark plug wire clamp. Trim the distributor end of the plug wires for laying along the inside bottom of the valve cover to get back to the distributor. Do ONE wire at a time and you won't get them crossed or switched. Trim EXTRA wire length at the distributor end. Plug wires should not be any longer than required to run from the plug to the distributor, away from the exhaust manifold(s) and other moving parts like the carb/trans linkage, and pulleys.

Spark plugs
Autolite 23 or 25 or equivalent if your head has the small 5/8 hex plug.
Autolite 85 or equivalent if your head has the large 13/16 hex plug.
Plugs can be gapped at 0.045.
All the plug manufacturers are suitable and really about the same. Any make will run 30-40,000 miles, perhaps longer. But if they get oil or fuel fouled . . . you have to fix the CAUSE of plug fouling. It will rarely be the wire. If you use the ceramic booted 90° plug wires called out above, routed around the ENDS of each head, they will last longer than you will own your FMC. BUT KEEP THE PLUG WIRES AWAY FROM THE GLOWING 1600 DEGREE F EXHAUST MANIFOLDS !!! ROUTING IS CRITICAL ! Understand ???
hemi354az
Posted 2017-08-07 11:15 PM (#4858 - in reply to #4785)

Extreme Veteran

Hey Chip, get the plugs, wires, and clamps installed ? Share some pictures ? How does it run now ?
Spark ON ! Lou #120
fcrives3
Posted 2017-10-09 6:50 PM (#5037 - in reply to #4785)

Regular

Got the plugs in only swapped a few plug wires out with an old set that I had off of #934 now #721 runs pretty decent. I will get some pictures uploaded soon, man I love being FMC poor. #471 is going to be my 10 year winter project LOL. Got to get them all washed and looking pretty.
dkarnath
Posted 2017-10-10 10:41 AM (#5044 - in reply to #4785)

Elite Veteran

Do you have any photo albums started?
fcrives3
Posted 2017-10-10 11:24 AM (#5047 - in reply to #4785)

Regular

No not yet I really should start some just wish Dub Mitchell and my grandfather Frank Joyce were still here to guide me along or kick my tail for starting this venture of 3 FMC's
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)