Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wiring diagram
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

journeyman
Posted 2017-07-14 7:48 PM (#4751)
Subject: wiring diagram

Contributor

I am working in the engine compartment and looking at a 15 pin (rectangular, 3x5) connector that connects the chassis to the engine.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this connector?

Thanks!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
hemi354az
Posted 2017-07-14 10:06 PM (#4752 - in reply to #4751)
Subject: RE: wiring diagram

Extreme Veteran

See http://www.fmcmotorcoach.com/Manuals.html
Service Manual Section 40 -Auto El(ectric)
Figure 4-1, page 3 and page 4
These manuals are supplied and maintained by every FMC Owner's Norway Friend Kjetil #477. Thank him.
They have been referenced MANY MANY MANY times before.
Zap ON ! Lou #120
journeyman
Posted 2017-07-15 12:52 AM (#4753 - in reply to #4751)
Subject: Re: wiring diagram

Contributor

Thanks!
journeyman
Posted 2017-07-15 11:21 PM (#4755 - in reply to #4751)

Contributor

Wow, this is not a simple schematic!
At the edge of the page, part of the diagram continues to the next page, part of it continues to another page. Wow. The main thing is that it does not tell you all the pages that are connected! Some are labeled, some are not.

There is a wiring bundle with 21 wires in it entering the engine bay.
I really would like to identify and label these!

Also, I noticed the factory connectors were in pretty bad shape. I need to find an alternative solution.
hemi354az
Posted 2017-07-16 1:41 AM (#4756 - in reply to #4755)

Extreme Veteran

It is not any more complicated than any other vehicle wiring diagram. Print several copies of each page, carefully cut them at the "interface" and tape pages 1,2,3,4 TOGETHER. You could have copies made at Kinko's. You gould also have Kinko's "plastic cover" a couple combined 4 page. Then you can use colored grease pencils or erasable magic marker (for WHITE BOARD) to trace out each circuit your interested in, then clean the grease pencil mark when your finished. Do ONE wire at a time.

The wire size and color are called our . . . 18 R is 18 gauge red wire, etc, etc. The big bundle of wires down by the starter where it goes around the corner of the body/frame are usually "heat brittle" that is a good place to "unwrap" and start. All the wire ends are available, at auto electric supply, and good wire strippers and CRIMPERS -
(https://www.zoro.com/sta-kon-crimper-22-to-10-awg-9-58-l-wt111m/i/G2486626/cg?gclid=COWn_7GXjdUCFQeVfgodaY8HUg&gclsrc=aw.ds)
- are common tools of auto mechanics. The male bump of the crimper goes on the BACK side of the connector, NOT the split side. There are lots of NEW type wire coverings, in lots of sizes. Look thru the stuff at - -
https://www.delcity.net/ or other "Fine Auto Supply" near you.

Once you understand a single circuit . . . get smart about other circuits . . . ONE AT A TIME. Then examine all YOUR wiring in YOUR FMC. Anything you want to change ? Better routing ? Simplier ? Easier maintenance ?
Gets the parts together . . . and CHANGE THE WIRING DIAGRAM for YOUR FMC. My years as a Aerospace Project Engineer taught me that WHITE OUT is one of our most IMPORTANT tools. Draw in the NEW, REPLACED REWIRED CIRCUIT . . . so you will remember what you did . . . and make sure the next owner gets a copy of those changes.

There is more than one way to run all those wires. You can and will finger it out . . . but patience is necessary . . . and the plastic covered 4 page diagram with the grease pencil identifying the circuit you are working on will get you there. No one really expects 40 year old wire in a hot engine bay to be like new. We are ALL Dealing with our own wiring. Yours may NOT be the same as the FMC Factory Diagram . . . some PO might have changed one or more circuits . . . but you'll never know unless you get those 4 pages all as one diagram and start looking and unwrapping that 40 year old bunch or spaghetti.

On all things electrical . . . try not to let the smoke out . . . and be happy that you are not working on a British 40 year old car that has a Lucas electrical system and components. Remember that Lucas earned the Prince of Darkness name, invented the flickering bulb, Patented the electric short, and created the "Get home before dark" motto.
Zap ON ! Lou #120

Edited by hemi354az 2017-07-16 1:47 AM
journeyman
Posted 2017-07-16 8:53 AM (#4757 - in reply to #4751)

Contributor

Love the reference to the smoke theory of electricity... One of my favorites. Of course, not applicable on a non-British vehicle.

What I really would have liked is a simple pin-out for each of the three connectors off that wire loom: The 4-pin (looks like tail, right, left, brake), the 6 pin and the 15 pin.

Also, where is the "starter relay" supposed to be located? It may have been removed on my coach, but I would like to follow the wiring there anyway to see if there is anything amiss.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-07-16 9:02 AM (#4758 - in reply to #4757)

Elite Veteran

If you have a later coach you'll want to use the wiring diagram that's in the parts manual for electrical, there are quite a few differences, you'll also find that the connector pin outs are in the parts manual (no idea why they aren't shown in the service manual). Beware that the accuracy of any of these is maybe 80%, you'll also likely find that some of the colored wires have completely lost/faded all their color, so, you'll have a lot of white wires. There were some wires I was never able to identify, I removed the majority of them when I did the engine swap.
journeyman
Posted 2017-07-16 11:43 PM (#4759 - in reply to #4751)

Contributor

Thanks, Len!

Those parts diagrams are immensely helpful.
My coach is 478, so I think that qualifies as an "earlier" coach.
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2017-07-16 11:49 PM (#4760 - in reply to #4751)

Expert

Correct. Early coaches are from 0001 through 0645.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)