Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anyone experimented with rack and pinion steering?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

Darren
Posted 2017-03-30 3:13 PM (#4483)
Subject: Has anyone experimented with rack and pinion steering?

Contributor

After reading all of the comments on steering on the forums, a thought came to mind about aftermarket rack and pinion steering.  I'm active in the vintage Mustang community and there have been many aftermarket rack and pinion setups made available for those cars.  Has anyone thought about or seen an aftermarket, or custom, rack and pinion setup that could be retrofitted into our coaches?  I would think that it would correct some of the chronic wandering issues we see.

Darren

Top of the page Bottom of the page
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-03-30 7:40 PM (#4484 - in reply to #4483)
Subject: Re: Has anyone experimented with rack and pinion steering?

Elite Veteran

Rack and Pinion is a cool, efficient design, but I've never seen one large enough that I'd be comfortable using on a 6000lbs FAWR. I've never seen on on any medium duty truck (maybe they are out there though).
I can tell you that I have no wandering...at all. I think there's at least three reasons:
1. I installed a "Safe-T-Plus" self centering steering stabilizer. I've had them on previous rigs and I swear by them, they are not just another steering stabilizer, they really change the self centering function dramatically.
2. I moved a lot of weight forward (even with having the Duramax in the back) I put 400lbs of house batteries under the nose, moved the 125lbs spare tire and mount up front and added a 75lbs inverter charger to the forward stowage compartment. I added a second roof A/C right above the passenger position and I also moved my generator about 8ft forward.
3. I added air bags to all four corners allowing me to tune the suspension.
I have zero steering complaints.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-03-31 7:09 AM (#4485 - in reply to #4483)
Subject: Re: Has anyone experimented with rack and pinion steering?

Elite Veteran

After looking a little it appears that Freightliner does offer rack and pinion in some of their newer medium duty trucks...so...the donors are out there. Blaze that trail.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)