Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

That nasty carburetor
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

jevans
Posted 2017-03-07 3:02 PM (#4427)
Subject: That nasty carburetor

Administrator

#110 will actually roll next June to Michigan and I have the idea the carb needs a rebuild (visibly leaking, no choke, bad performance, etc)

I spoke with a local guy today, the only one to answer my calls, about rebuilding the carb because I do not want to climb up in there. His response was that the carb is probably not an eidlebrock, but the original thermoquad, and he won’t touch it. He recommends replacing the old thermoquad with an ‘actual’ eidelbrock (his words) and I will be very happy. $600 all said.

Any thoughts on this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hemi354az
Posted 2017-03-07 3:21 PM (#4428 - in reply to #4427)
Subject: RE: That nasty carburetor

Extreme Veteran

I have suggested this - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-210236/overview/ - carb to several FMC owners over the past several years. They have reported back to me that I worked as it was supposed to.
Perhaps one of them can re-confirm this carb selection . . . or not. Gas ON ! Lou #120
5Dollar
Posted 2017-03-07 3:25 PM (#4429 - in reply to #4427)
Subject: Re: That nasty carburetor

Veteran

If you want a thermoquad, I have newly remanufactured one rebuilt by "Mr. Thermoquad" in Atlanta for a heavy vehicle application. $175 shipped to your location. If it were me, I would go with a remanufactured Edelbrock 1406. Edelbrock rebuilds and sells these remanufactured carbs through Summit Racing for 299.99.

Maybe erroneously, but sincerely, I put thermoquads and split ring rims in the same box.

Henry
fmc708
Posted 2017-03-07 3:58 PM (#4430 - in reply to #4427)

Veteran

3 years ago, I upgraded to a 650 cfm AVS Edlebrock. So far, I am very happy with it. Of course, first choice was fuel injection. But, budget matters.
B. Sitton
Posted 2017-03-07 8:32 PM (#4435 - in reply to #4428)

Extreme Veteran

If you change to a different style carb, the most important thing is to make sure the kick down linkage to the transmission is adjusted properly. To change to the edelbrock will require modification to the linkage. When it is not done right your transmission will die. Your brand new transmission. Changing to an edelbrock will require an adapter to the spreadbore manifold also.
I'm about to work over a thermoquad to take with me on the #547 revive/retrieve mission. Plan to swap it out instead of messing with the one on it. Start fresh.
You could get better bottom end power changing to an edelbrock S P 2-P intake manifold while your at it http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-440-Edelbrock-SP2P-Cuda-Intake-Manifo... hash=item2121e6b96d:g:GNwAAOSw5cNYHj9I&vxp=mtr
5Dollar
Posted 2017-03-07 9:27 PM (#4436 - in reply to #4427)

Veteran

All I ever needed for a 1406 was a 1481 Chrysler adapter >$20. This kick down adjustment must be taken seriously and usually would take a professional only a few minutes.

I have a freshly sandblasted Edelbrock SP-2P manifold in like new condition. I will sell it $175 to your lower 48 door.

I am sure the Thermoqud is a great carb if you know how to adjust it and tune it for your application. You can bolt on a 1406 and SP2P crank up, check the transmission linkage adjustment, and be on your way. I enjoy riding more than the often elusive tuning of a thermoquad. The carb on an FMC is not a joy to get to, so trouble free should greatly valued.

Henry

dkarnath
Posted 2017-03-07 10:10 PM (#4437 - in reply to #4427)

Elite Veteran

I've rebuilt a couple Thermoquads now off FMC's. It's really not all that bad in my opinion. You can completly remove the carb (do all the work i should say) from the passenger side, except for maybe removing the fuel line. Yeah you have to dig a little deep up in the heart of the beast.....the easiest/most affordable option is to just replace the TQ with a new one. TQ's are good carbs. The mechanic that quoted you is scared of TQ's obviously, and would rather butcher (possibly) what you have known to be good for over 75,000 miles. Pay a competent mechanic that owns a vacuum gauge and can read a manual on checking the clearances on a new TQ, install DONE.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-03-08 7:11 AM (#4439 - in reply to #4437)

Elite Veteran

carburetor??...hmmm...nope...doesn't ring any bells..
dkarnath
Posted 2017-03-08 8:50 AM (#4440 - in reply to #4427)

Elite Veteran

Len is going to have you "Direct Injecting it" in no time.... lol
byegorge
Posted 2017-03-09 10:51 PM (#4447 - in reply to #4427)

Veteran

There is nothing wrong with Thermoquads they just require a gentle touch, not a ham handed greasemonkey. If you really want to have some fun put a Holley in there and tune it till eternity.
dkarnath
Posted 2017-03-14 9:13 AM (#4462 - in reply to #4427)

Elite Veteran

You went with the Edelbrock Jim? How do you like it?
jevans
Posted 2017-03-14 10:42 AM (#4463 - in reply to #4427)

Administrator

Still at shop; front left brake cylinder leaking real bad, that became my priority ;-)
dkarnath
Posted 2017-03-14 11:04 AM (#4464 - in reply to #4427)

Elite Veteran

I just rebuilt my left front brake wheel cylinders this weekend? What a coincidence!! I had a clunky/sticky brake...tore it apart and found one of the lower wheel cylinder push rods was out of whack binding one of the shoes..And of course both cylinders showed signs of beginning to leak.
hemi354az
Posted 2017-03-14 12:08 PM (#4465 - in reply to #4464)

Extreme Veteran

Now we have a FMC BRAKE thread.
DOT 5 DOT 5 DOT 5 !
Hydrophobic ON ! Lou #120
TX-FMC
Posted 2017-03-20 1:03 AM (#4472 - in reply to #4437)

Contributor

You are correct. There is nothing "bad" about the engineering design of a Thermoquad, or a Quadrajet, or a Autolite carburetor - just "bad" mechanics who aren't experienced with them and use a " bad" rep as a crutch - an excuse for not being able to figure them out - so don't use that particular mechanic. The typical universal response is "get an Edelbrock" - why, because it makes their job easier - bolt on and go. There is nothing necessarily wrong with that, but.. I am more of a purist and generally prefer to go with the engineering designers original parts (there are exceptions, especially in "modern" engineered vehicles). But with a classic American made vehicle, original is designed and tuned for optimal performance. The average person may not notice the difference - but there is. Anyway, study the Thermoquad, know it inside and out and rebuild and tune it yourself - or try to find somebody that does.

A little Thermoquad trivia: Thermoquads are essentially known as carburetors used on Chrysler products. There is one other manufacturer who used a Thermoquad designed carburetor on a factory production vehicle for one year only - Ford Lincoln Mercury - on a 1974 Lincoln 460 c.i.d. engine..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)