Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FMC #348 still owned by original owner
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> DiscussionMessage format

BigRabbitMan
Posted 2016-11-08 12:42 PM (#4098)
Subject: FMC #348 still owned by original owner

(97.94.227.253)
I recently received a phone call as a result of the Chapter Spotlight article in the Nov 2016 issue of the FMCA magazine, Family Motor Coaching. There is a post and link to the article in another thread.

I was called by John Bartley, coach #348, as he had a question about a part number. He got my phone number from the above article. In the course of the conversation, I learned that he purchased his coach new so he is the original owner. John put over 400,000 miles on his coach from 1973 until 2004 traveling all over North America including Canada and Alaska a number of times. In 2004 he purchased a 40' coach which he has used since then, but kept his FMC as it is still used by a grandson and because he may want to go back to using it if he gets tired of the large coach.

The coach is in excellent condition as he has done many upgrades and fully maintained it. Some of the upgrades are: 8.2 Detroit Diesel (he may have been one of the first four people to make this change), Allison 1000 transmission (upgraded from the 545 when the 1000 became available), 22.5 wheels, disc brakes and many more things. John was one of four FMC coach owners in his immediate area that early on started making upgrades to their coaches. If one of them made a change, they all made the same change! The coach has been stored indoors its entire life.

I, personally, had doubted that any coaches were still owned by the original owners. I was wrong! I now wonder if any more/how many are still owned by the original purchasers! Should I ever make it back to NC, I plan on making a stop in Highpoint to visit with John.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
denshew
Posted 2016-11-15 11:35 AM (#4133 - in reply to #4098)
Subject: Re: FMC #348 still owned by original owner

(76.111.63.104)
Leslie was original owner 938, he put lot of miles on it. Last I heard, Chris and Karen have just let it sit, deteriorate. Shame.
dkarnath
Posted 2016-11-15 11:54 AM (#4134 - in reply to #4098)

(204.10.247.1)
I've read a ton of what Leslie posted on-line, he passed before I purchased an FMC. I still don't understand why the MCR website hasn't been changed/updated in years?? At least something? I would do almost anything to have that business....Probably would go broke doing it though, times are slow in the FMC world.....
LCAC_Man
Posted 2016-11-15 1:25 PM (#4135 - in reply to #4134)

(70.183.105.121)
dkarnath - 2016-11-15 9:54 AM

Probably would go broke doing it though, times are slow in the FMC world.....

I expect that will continue to be the trend; my generation(I'm 50 now) is really the last of the "do it yourself/hands-on mechanics"; the young men/families out there now have zero mechanical acumen so they are forced to hire out all their work; unless you're working with high end/dollar client's building collector cars/trucks, there is just no appetite for investing $10k-$40k in a vintage motorhome, which is what it takes to make them reliable/safe.
The Airstream (motorhomes) have managed to carve out a bit of a niche market, but they really are riding the popularity of their trailers..
Taking on one of these is the equivalent of starting an old house and an old car project at the same time...not many have will power to stick through to the finish line..
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)