Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Rally Information -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FMC Mega Rally - June 2012
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Rally InformationMessage format

jevans
Posted 2012-04-03 11:29 AM (#1578)
Subject: FMC Mega Rally - June 2012

Administrator

For the 2012 FMC Rally in Colorado, a sketchy schedule, mostly subject to change

Tuesday, June 26: Meet and greet, perhaps a pot luck?
Wednesday, June27: Open House, Club meeting, dinner at Amada's Fonda
Thursday, June 28: Horse ride thru Garden of the Gods (see below)
Friday, June 29th: Mostly open time, perhaps a nature tour thru GofG?
Saturday, June 30th: Mostly Farwell's and bon voyage

There are rules, but not many:

1) You Do Not have to be a member of the FMC Owner's club! Everyone is welcome,
please come and please Be Our Guest! Our only requirement is that you own an
FMC. Apparently, according to rallies in recent years, you don't even have to
bring yours.

2) You need to make your own Park reservations. In years past, the rally master
(me) has collected money and paid the park en mass. This time, I am taking
their suggestion and having you pay/register directly:

Please call the park at 800-248-9451, tell them you are with the FMC Owners Club
for reservations 6/26-6/30 (Tue, June 26 to Sat, June 30) If you would like to
arrive early or stay late, that is for-sure ok; please let me know so I can meet
you early or hang with you after! ( I live 20 mins up the street)

Please make your reservations by April 15. (tax day, thought you
procrastinators would think that funny). Actually we really REALLY need to
reserve within the next 30 days, but don't put it off.

Our rate is $42 per night (or $168) for two guests. (plus a charge for
additional guests over the age of 8.)

3) We will be going horseback riding thru Garden of the Gods on Thursday, 6/28.
I promise this will be the one-hour highlight of your stay, so please plan to
participate! Children need to be at least 8 years old and adults need to be
under 250 lbs. (for the rider and horse's safety). I've reserved TEN spaces,
and can get more, but YOU need to tell me by April 15 if you would like to join
us. Once we reserve space, there is a 72 hour cancellation policy, which in my
world means there is NO cancellation.

4) We will be having (1) one pot luck and (1) one dinner at Amanda's Fonda,
which is across the street

For the pot luck we ask you bring: your own entree, plus a side dish, or a
dessert, to feed perhaps three or five. If more were required you would know
by then!

For our Mexican feast at the local best-Mexican-ever restaurant, we will see
about separate checks and We'll play it by ear! (We always do!!)

5) Finally, In a separate post I will list the other things you can do in the
Pikes-Peak-Region. I mention that NOW because some of those things require
reservations or advanced planning. For example, ascending Pikes Peak via the
cog railway is WAY cool; club members here in 2006 will tell you might be the
best part of their stay, but if YOU don't make reservations you will not get to
ride! So, phone me if you need help, phone me if you want advice, and phone me
if you get lost.

I really look forward to seeing old friends and making new ones!

happy trails!

Jim Evans
(p) 719-488-9647
(c) 719-641-2466
jim.evans@...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2012-04-14 3:27 PM (#1580 - in reply to #1578)
Subject: Re: 2012 FMC Rally -- Cross posting from Yahoo group:

Expert

Attractions in and around the Pikes Peak Region, in no particular order:
(those familiar with the area are encouraged to add to the list!)

* Garden of the Gods: A Must-See. Attendees from our last rally here will tell you this is our fondest memory. Horseback trail rides are planned, but if you are less adventurous, start at the visitor's center on 30th street, and enter the park from the east past the famous Kissing Camels rock formation.. Be sure to exit to the south to see the famous Balanced Rock (turn right to return to our campground). There are nature tours daily at 10:00am from the north parking lot; the group may schedule this for Friday.
* Cheyenne Mountain Zoo: Jill and I are members, so for anyone interested, first two guests are free. Famous for their giraffe exhibit (feed them from the platform and look them in the eye!), they also have a new mountain lion enclosure, excellent gorilla/orangutan facility, active grizzly bears. Prepare to hike up and down the equivalent of an 11 story building.
* US Air Force Academy: The AFA is the number one man-made tourist attraction in Colorado. Start a self guided tour by entering the North Gate (I-25 exit 156), pass the huge athletic fields and stop at the visitor's center. Be sure to go in the chapel, which won awards for its architecture. When done, Exit the south gate for access to Academy Boulevard and a plethora of eating and shopping.
* Royal Gorge: Site of the world's tallest suspension bridge, there are several ways to see this beautiful gorge: visit Canon City sixty miles south of the Springs and cross the bridge by foot or car; make reservations on the Royal Gorge railroad (allow more than half a day, lunch is served); take a raft trip down the Arkansas (this is my fav, but class five rapids are not for the faint of heart)
* Seven Falls: Just behind the famous Broadmore hotel, A kitsch tourist attraction, but some people dig it
* Indoor Ghost Town: Located down the street, skip this kitsch tourist attraction
*Manitou Cliff Dwellings: just up the hill from our campground. I've never been there because it is a reproduction. (see Mesa Verde below)
* Cave of the Winds: Also just up the hill. If you've never been in a natural cave, you might like this. If you have seen the better caves in the country, (Mammoth Caves, KY, Carlsbad Caverns, NM, Luray Caverns, VA) then skip this because you will be disappointed.
* Pikes Peak: Attendees from our last rally here will tell you this ranked very high on our list of Must-See adventures. Ascend via the Cog Railway (advanced reservations required) or drive the toll road to the top of the most famous 14k mountain in the nation, and second most visited after Mt Fuji, Japan. This was the site that inspired Katharine Lee Bates to write her poem "America, The Beautiful"
* Old Town Colorado City: Just east up the street from our campground (almost walking
distance), Old Colorado City boasts some very fine galleries, window shopping, unique local dining and antiquing.
* Manitou Springs: West of our campground, the town still contains active mineral springs that
originally made this area a tourist attraction. Again, the galleries, window shopping, and local dining make this an excellent afternoon outing. There is also a HUGE indoor/outdoor video/pinball arcade for the young at heart. You may see a game you hadn't played in twenty or thirty years! (it happened to me!)
* Downtown Colorado Springs: This may sound odd, but downtown has some nice shops, local eating
establishments, and an atmosphere you only find in old, small towns like ours.
* Denver: Ok, if arriving/departing via the northern route, sixty miles from the Springs is a city of 3+ million people: an excellent aquarium, the museum of natural history, Elitch Gardens (six flags?), the Rockies' baseball stadium, 16th St mall, to name just a few.
* Boulder: If you made it to Denver, might as well go another few miles and see this cool little town. The infamous Pearl St. Mall (a model of pedestrian conversions), the Celestial Seasons tea factory tour (one hour), and The Butterfly Pavilion (allow at least two hours) are just some of the gems in the area.
* Rocky Mountain National Park: 150 miles north of the Springs, this is probably the most famous park in
Colorado, but not easily accessible unless you have a diesel conversion. Trail Ridge Road (which #110 HAS climbed) descends on the other side of the continental divide near Grand Lake and Winter Park.
* Durango: Near Bill Sitton's house, 300+ miles west of the Springs, but might be on your way in or out of town. The Durango-Silverton railroad is a beautiful ride.
* Great Sand Dunes National Park: Home of the tallest dunes in North America! Stop here for lunch if traveling between the Springs and Durango.
* Mesa Verde National Park: Located near Cortez, CO, also 300+ miles from the Springs, this is a must see set of actual ruins if passing near the four corners area.

Jim Evans, #110
(p) 719-488-9647
jim.evans@yahoo.com
jevans
Posted 2012-04-14 5:59 PM (#1581 - in reply to #1578)
Subject: RE: 2012 FMC Rally -- Cross posting from Yahoo group:

Administrator

Ok, fess up: who amoung you have not registered. Warnings go out tomorrow!
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2012-04-16 3:14 PM (#1582 - in reply to #1578)

Expert

According to Garden of the Gods campground, we currently have seven coaches registered for the 2012 rally.

They are:

Jim Evans & Family
Bill Sitton & Family
Greg Miller & Family
Jim Woestman
Larry Enoksen & Family
Lynn & Ken Clugston
Stephen Heinrichs (& Eric Whedon)

Plan to join us! Please make your reservations as soon as possible! Why not just stop and do it now! If you do it now, you can be assured of being with the rest of the group. Doing it later may mean that you are at the RV park, but on the other side. It only takes a $42 deposit to ensure you are with the group. So do it now,
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2012-05-02 11:41 AM (#1589 - in reply to #1582)

Expert

Having just spoken with the campground and several members, the list of attendees for the Mega Rally in Colorado Springs will be up to thirteen coaches with two other owners coming without their coach as of the end of today. That means that 15 coaches will be represented.

In my conversations with various people over time, a number of people have commented on some feature of a coach that I took a picture of and emailed to them or posted on this site. Well, now is your chance to actually see these features (and things I don't have a picture of) in person. That is always much better than a picture.  There will be several engine/transmisson combinations there that have not been to previous rallies.

It is time to get your reservation in as we are going to have a great rally. Several attendees have either not been to a rally at all or only a local/regional rally so come and meet new people from other parts of the country and reconnect with old friends.

The campground phone number is 719-475-4950 and the group coordinator is Lois. Call now while the phone number is in front of you!

See you there,
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2012-05-21 11:51 PM (#1604 - in reply to #1578)
Subject: Re: FMC Mega Rally - June 2012

Expert

Just a quick update. We are now up to 15 coaches reserved with 2-3 attendees without coaches. You need to be there to meet new Owners and to see the variety of coaches that will be attending. There will be a variety of engines, drivetrains and interiors.

We are going to have a great time and learn a lot and you do not want to miss it!
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2012-05-31 10:14 PM (#1605 - in reply to #1604)

Expert

The Mega Rally just keeps getting more "Mega" all the time!  We are now up to 17 attendees with coaches (one a non-FMC) and two people by car.  We will probably have another as a day visitor (he has a tight schedule).  At this point, 20 FMC coaches will be represented one way or another.  This will be a new, modern day record attendance and it includes some who have never been to an FMC rally anywhere anytime.

To everyone who is not yet scheduled to attend, do what it takes to be there with or without your coach.  There are closeby motels where you can stay and just walk back and forth to the rally.  You will be very welcome and will enjoy meeting others and discussing coaches and looking at coaches.  The Lumibao's have a nice custom couch arrangement and the Millers have just installed a new pantry in their coach.  And that is just for starters!

The states represented by the attendees are: CA, AZ, NM, TX, CO, OR, MO, GA, MI & ON Canada.  As you can see there are a lot of people coming a long way so NOW is the time to join us and see and meet fellow coach owners.  This large and varied of a group can't get together too often so now is the time to join us.

See you there, 

Jim Woestman
Posted 2012-06-21 4:54 PM (#1622 - in reply to #1605)

Contributor

Because of fires in Colo and NM I assume that we will not be able to have a camp fire. If we are able to please let me know so that I can bring firewood. I am leaving Carthage Mo Sunday noon and meeting Clugston's and Shewmaker on I-70 north of Wichita Kansas. Jim #617
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2012-06-21 5:47 PM (#1623 - in reply to #1578)

Expert

I just called the campground to get the answer and your assumpsion is correct.

They are on a complete fire ban so no open fires of any kind including charcoal grills. A gas fired grill is ok so anyone planning on outside cooking needs to use a gas fired and not briquet fired unit.

I am looking forward to seeing the three of you rolling into camp.
B. Sitton
Posted 2012-06-30 9:31 PM (#1632 - in reply to #1578)
Subject: RE: FMC Mega Rally - June 2012

Extreme Veteran

We had a great time at the rally! Looking forward to the next one. Talk of a few rallys in the next 2 years. Rumor is "Carthage MO. for the 2014 Mega Rally. Hope to see you there! If you have an idea for a rally please let us know. Any number of coaches that can get together for a rally will be fun.

Bill Sitton
President FMC Cotor coach Owners Club
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2012-07-02 12:56 PM (#1633 - in reply to #1632)

Expert

As Bill said, we all had a great time at the rally renewing old friendships and making new ones.  I have started a photo album for the rally in the album section of this website.  Please note that this is just a little taste of what the rally was and what the photo story of the rally will become.  Over the next few weeks others will be sending me their pictures and I will select and consolidate many of them into the event album as I have done for prior rallies.

Here is a direct link: http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=95&useralbum=33 

Also, I would like to publically thank our Rally Master, Jim Evans, as assisted by Harry Day, in the terriffic job they did in finding another location for the rally when fires caused us to be unable to use the reserved location.  Many attendee's were already on the way and the two of them rescued the event under a very stressful situation.

Thank you Jim and Harry!

BigRabbitMan
Posted 2012-10-03 11:40 AM (#1682 - in reply to #1633)

Expert

An album of pictures from the 2012 Colorado Mega Rally has now been posted.  There are descriptions under the pictures to assist those who were not there.

The pictures are a compilation of the efforts of Nuntawan Camrye, Connie Kubiak and Barney Martin, Lynn Clugston, Kathleen Sitton, Greg Miller, Bill Rogers and Stephen Heinrichs.

Enjoy the pictures, but it is better in person so be sure to be at the next rally in your section of the country (or anywhere in North America!).

Here is a link: http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=97 

See you at a rally,

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)