Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Rally Information -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

West Coast Fall Rally - Sep 30 - Oct 2, 2011
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Rally InformationMessage format

BigRabbitMan
Posted 2011-08-18 12:26 PM (#1491)
Subject: West Coast Fall Rally - Sep 30 - Oct 2, 2011

Expert

It has been decided!

The West Coast rally will be Sep 30, Oct 1,& 2, 2011.

This will be a little different style of rally as it will be dry camping (no hookups – generator power will be available for recharging batteries if needed).  It will be in a campground where you are parked on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean.  If you really, really strain your eyes you should be able to see Japan as there is nothing in between!  If you have a telescope or binoculars, bring them as whales travel along this shore.  This is a location that Greg and Liza Lee Miller stumbled upon a year ago and fell in love with the setting.  It is California’s North Coast as it should be seen.

Stand on the bluff in front of your coach and smell the ocean air while looking to the West and seeing the waves rolling in from the Pacific.  Look down, and see those waves crashing into the rocks below.  Walk next door to the state park and walk down to the beach and feel the power and taste the water from those waves.  Bring your boat and launch it from the adjacent launch ramp.

The location is a little way north of Fort Ross, CA on state Hwy 1 which follows the coast.  Fort Ross is the most southern settlement that Russia had before California became a state.  Restored buildings remain ( http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=449  .  If you are coming a distance, I would recommend planning on taking your time traveling up or down the coast prior to or after the rally.   To the south is San Francisco and to the north is the Avenue of the Giants ( http://www.aveofthegiants.com  where you can drive through a large grove of huge redwood trees.  Also one could take the Skunk Train (http://www.skunktrain.com ) from Fort Bragg for either a half day or full day excursion on your way north after the rally.

Signup information will be developed by Greg Miller and posted later.

The following is a link to the website for the campground.  Note that we will not be making site reservations as the park doesn't take reservations for any spaces except the group site and we do not want to use the group site as it is to the rear of the park.  We want to "take over" the bluff area!  For this reason, we DO need those planning or thinking of planning on attending to let Greg Miller or myself know via email.  His email address is: gregmiller@pobox.com .

A quick count of probable attendees is about eight at present so we will have a good group and have a lot of interesting things to discuss and look at.  The "probable" list includes three coaches that have not been to any prior rallies so you need to come to both see those coaches and let them see your coach.

http://www.oceancove.org

Here is the address for the campground so that you can put it into your GPS or mapping program to select your route.  There are multiple routes possible so select one that you like.

Ocean Cove Store & Campground
23125 Coast Highway One
Jenner, California 95450

http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=87&photoid=1745  

I will see you there,

The attachments are Google Earth views of the campground and of the entrance across the highway from the store.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Ocean Cove Campground1.pdf (112KB - 63 downloads)
Attachments Ocean Cove Entrance.pdf (81KB - 87 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2011-08-21 9:37 PM (#1499 - in reply to #1491)
Subject: RE: West Coast Fall Rally - Sep 30 - Oct 2, 2011

Expert

Just a quick update to let you know that you do really want to be at this rally as we are now up to 11 probable attendees.  Several are new attendees so come and welcome them and, if you haven't attended an FMC rally yet now is the time to come and see all the coaches and meet the people.  We will highly modified coaches and very original coaches.

Give me an email or phone call so we will know that we will be seeing you there!

FunCars
Posted 2011-09-03 11:42 PM (#1505 - in reply to #1491)
Subject: Re: West Coast Fall Rally - Sep 30 - Oct 2, 2011

Contributor

Any activities planned? Like polish my coach? Align the chassis? Fix the in-dash A/C? You know, good FUN stuff like that....

How many of these are still owned by the original owner? I was thinking about trying to get the original Owner of 507 to Come up for the day. He is getting a bit frail, but sure likes to tell stories of where he has gone.
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2011-09-11 12:46 PM (#1513 - in reply to #1505)

Expert

Ok, it is time for an update. 

We are now up to 15 coaches represented on the attendee list.  It is composed of 12 FMC's, 1 SOB, and 2 car drivers.  The coaches are coming from Salem, OR in the North, Los Angeles, CA in the South and Carthage & Rolla, MO to the East.  If you live west of the Atlantic, you still have time to join in the "rally on the bluff".  We like to see the FMC's pulling in, but if it means that you have to take something else,  don't be bashful just go ahead and come.  Flying in works as well.  There is a General Store across the road for emergency supplies so no fear of starving.

Since we are a distance from most civilization, offsite close by formal activities are limited.  We recommend that out of the area attendees plan on making some stops on the way to or from the rally itself.  We are having the rally here primarily due to the location of the site itself so we will be mainly doing what Rod has asked about above.  If you can afford the golf balls, you can see how far out into the ocean you can hit one!  Bouncers off of the head of a whale don't count.

We will also have an FMC Owners Club meeting if we can get everyone's head out of engine compartments long enough to pound a gavel! 

Rod, there are some long time owners coming, but no original owners that I know of.  It would be great if the original owner of #507 can come.  We would all enjoy his tales and I expect that he would enjoy seeing all of the coaches.  There is a motel across the road if he or anyone else desires to spend the night close to the rally http://saltpointlodgebarandgrill.com  or for an upscale location this place is not too far away http://tinyurl.com/6fbv2wxTheir website also has some nice pictures of the area.

If anyone has questions or wants more information, please contact either Greg Miller or myself.  Stephen@Heinrichs.com will work for emails to let us know to expect you.

See you there,

BigRabbitMan
Posted 2011-09-18 5:38 PM (#1514 - in reply to #1513)

Expert

Ok, another quick, short update.  We are now up to 12 FMC coaches, 3 SOB and 4 by car.  The total people count including children comes to 40.  Out of that many people, there has to be someone that you will like!!  There is also a possibility of one of the car people transforming into an FMC people.  We will see.

So bring your FMC and join the fun and the mechanical discussions.  There will be plenty of "ocean bluff mechanics" available to respond to questions.  I do not vouch for the answers, but we all should learn things.

See you there,

FunCars
Posted 2011-09-18 6:00 PM (#1515 - in reply to #1491)

Contributor

Great!

Well the bad news is the Ernie Farrow the original owner of my FMC #507 passed away last week. It was kind of unexpected, but he said he had lived a great life... Ernie said he saw plenty of the world behind the wheel of the FMC and the RV he "wore out" before buying the FMC. Ernie was 92 years old. He had traveled a good deal even after his first wife Inez became ill and bed-ridden with cancer. Ernie pulled out the dining area and installed the hospital bed for Inez. Then they hit the road again. When she could no longer tolerate travel, Ernie re-installed the dinette and used the FMC for short local trips until Inez passed away.

THEN, Ernie hooked up with his next wife ---------- Dorothy, his childhood sweetheart......... And they hit the road again with the FMC......

He enjoyed the travel and certainly enjoyed the FMC.

I am taking a short break now while checking out some of the systems on the coach now.
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2011-09-25 8:03 PM (#1526 - in reply to #1515)

Expert

The following is the series of emails that I have sent to the people that indicated that they are coming to the Ocean Cove Rally.  If you can make it, they contain all of the information you will need.

See you there,  Stephen Heinrichs

Hi Everybody,

One last update.  One coach had to drop out due to health reasons and one of the car attendees has been able switch to an FMC so the total FMC coach number stays at 12 coaches and the people count at 39.  Extra effort by the formerly car people have made this switch possible.  I have attached the schedule and driving instructions again just in case someone needs it.  We will have lots of things to discuss at the rally.  There are many different coach configurations that will be there.  Greg and I (and possibly some others) will be at the campground by Thursday afternoon and will no longer be available by phone or email as this section of the coast hasn’t started to participate in those elements of modern society as of yet.  I told you it was rustic!

If you have any last minute questions, please email or call either Greg Miller or myself.

See you there,

Stephen Heinrichs

FMC Motor Coach Owners Club rally, September 30-Oct 2, 2011

Ok, another quick, short update.

We are now up to 12 FMC coaches, 3 SOB and 4 by car.  The total people count including children comes to 40.  Out of that many people, there has to be someone that you will like!!  There is also a possibility of one of the car people transforming into an FMC people.  We will see.

Attached is the Schedule for the rally as well as driving instructions for the last section.  Some people will be arriving on Thursday, most will arrive on Friday and some will come on Saturday.  It all works!

This is a “rustic” campground (http://www.oceancove.org ) and is operated accordingly.  First thing is that there are no reservations.  This means that it is possible/probable that there will be some other campers interspersed with the FMC coaches.  How many we don’t know, but the abalone season was just cancelled due to a red tide that caused a die off of abalone so there should be fewer divers there for the season as the season has ended!  That is good news for us.

Since there are no reservations, the early bird will get the best sites and we will attempt to scare others away to make room for the rest of you!  We will play it by ear at the rally.  Also a reminder that there are no dump facilities and no 120 electricity either.  So dump before arrival and you will be good for the rally.  Let me or Greg Miller know if you might need to plug into someone with a generator to recharge your batteries so we can place you properly.  Also fuel up before leaving the Hwy 101 corridor as fuel prices are high(er) along the coast.

When you arrive at the campground at 23125 Coast Hwy 1, which is on the left right after a hard 90 degree left turn and across the street from the Ocean Cove General Store, go on in and select your site.  After doing that, you can walk across to the store and register and pay your $20 per night for however many nights you will be there.  Alternately, there is a small parking lot at the entrance where you can park, walk across and pay and then continue on into the campground.

So bring your FMC and join the fun and the mechanical discussions and coach interior tours.  We have original, unchanged coaches all the way to highly modified units.  There will be plenty of "ocean bluff mechanics" available to respond to questions.  I do not vouch for the answers, but we all should learn things.

See you there,

Stephen Heinrichs

916-425-7996

Stephen@Heinrichs.com  

!To all currently scheduled FMC West Coast Ocean Cove Rally attendees,

At the bottom of this email is an updated attendee list as there have been additions.  This rally is building up to be the largest FMC Motor Coach rally in the West in decades!!  Very exciting!!!

A couple of changes and additions to my earlier email below.  First, plan on taking a break in Jenner rather than Ft Ross.  The grocery store on the left as you come into Jenner would be a good place to do it so that you can also pick up any last minute misc. supplies still needed as the store across from the campsite is quite small.  There is also a café and restaurant in Jenner if you want to get a meal on your way in.  There are no services in Ft. Ross.  The campground is 16.3 miles north of Jenner.

I have had one of the attendees (who is a little more familiar with the area roads than I am!) suggest an alternate route for the last section of the drive.  Instead of leaving Hwy 101 at Petaluma, go north on Hwy 101 eight or nine miles to the Hwy 116 exit and then go west on that route all the way to Jenner.  It is a couple of miles longer, but you avoid an about eight mile stretch of beautiful, but rather twisty coastal road along the ocean.  That just leaves the section from Jenner to the campground.  The passenger can enjoy the view, but the driver will need to concentrate on the road!  The Mapquest directions and map are attached.

At this time, it looks like there will be 12 FMC coaches, 3 SOBs and 3 by car.  As is always true, everything is in a state of flux and subject to change, but we are gong to have a great time at this Rally on the Bluff!.  At future rallies, we can tell others what they missed.  Keep passing the word.

See you there,

Stephen Heinrichs

To all of the current rally attendees,

Below is a list of all of the people that are currently planning on attending the West Coast Ocean Cove FMC Motor Coach Rally.  I thought I would send this out to all of you so that you, as an attendee, can see who else is coming.  Some have been to many rallies, for others it will be their first rally.  Some of you have had your FMC for 20 or more years and some are very recent FMC owners.  Some are younger with children, and some, like me, are more “mature”!  It is a very diverse group and that will help make it an enjoyable time for all.  There has been an update about the rally posted at http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=337&posts=4&start=1 .

There will be three coaches caravanning down the coast to the rally.  The two Oregon coaches are going to meet up with the Crescent City coach and continue together to the rally.  I believe the rest of us are coming individually.  If you would like to link up with someone, go ahead and contact them directly.  Just for your information, there is a small general merchandise store across the road from the campground should anything be forgotten or you need additional supplies. 

There is no waste dump at the campground so it would be best to have dumped prior to your arrival.  They have a pump out service that comes around each Monday so if you are staying longer and need to dump, that will solve any needs at that point.  There are coin operated showers.   Porta-potties are scattered around the campground.  If anyone needs supplemental power beyond what their batteries or generator will provide, please let me or Greg know so that we can make arrangements to take care of your needs. 

There are fire rings at each campsite so there will be one or more FMC Fireboxes for us to enjoy.  I will be bringing firewood as well as my Firebox.

I will be working on getting additional people to attend, but I think that at this point this is probably the group.  If you know owners that are not on this list, feel free to personally call them and encourage them to come as well.

For those coming up the coast on Hwy 101, I would recommend going up the east side of the bay on 880 to Oakland and then on north via 580 to San Rafael and then up 101 to Petaluma.  If you are coming up or down I-5 or west on I-80 get to Vallejo and then go north on Hwy 37 (east side of Vallejo) to Lakeville Hwy.  Go north on Lakeville to Petaluma.  See attached directions for beyond Petaluma.

A note of caution for those that are traveling a long distance.  You do want to pace your self so that you arrive during the daytime.  Also, take a break in Jenner so that you are alert for the last section as it is a beautiful, but, in spots, twisty road as it goes along the ocean.  All who have been there say that it is well worth the drive.  There is no cell phone or wifi reception at the campground or store.  There is wifi at the Timber Cove Inn and restaurant three miles south of the campground for the email addicted amongst us.  Since my coach is out of service, my satellite service is unavailable, sorry!

Should anyone have any questions or need more information, please call or email myself (916-425-7996) or Greg Miller (831-428-2668).

I am looking forward to a great,, informative & relaxing time.

BigRabbitMan
Posted 2011-10-04 12:24 PM (#1527 - in reply to #1526)

Expert

Well, the Ocean Cove Rally is now history.  We had a great time at a great location. We ended up with 11 FMC coaches at the rally with 14 represented.   One owner came with his son and grandson in his son's SOB as the FMC's engine change wasn't quite completed.  Two owners came in cars as their coaches are undergoing rework as well.  I was one of those.

Rod Dahlgren volunteered to do a video of the coaches and owners at the rally.  It turned out very good so i am posting the link here so that all of you can see who was there, their coaches and the location.  One attendee had to leave before the video was done for those who count things!

Rod, thank you for taking the initiative and doing this video. 

Here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ZbN3AsVNU

Rod, it is a great video.

BigRabbitMan
Posted 2011-10-06 2:46 AM (#1528 - in reply to #1527)

Expert

A photo album for the rally has now been posted in the Album section of this website.  Here is a link to the album.  http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=87 

Each of you need to orgainze a small rally in your area.  We had a good time.

sllygrl1
Posted 2011-10-07 10:20 PM (#1529 - in reply to #1528)

New user

The photos are fantastic!!!!! I sent them to my relatives. Thank you for such wonderful photos! We had a great time and are wanting to go every week!!!!! Dean has been busy with the electrical and I'm just poking around with the interior. We got a phone call from a previous owner of our 886 who had seen the photos, and he wants to come up and see it and will tell us what he knows of it. We found out we have a system that sprays water on the radiator if it runs hot! It will be great to have this guy come by to help identify stuff for us. Well, Stephen, again thank you for the great Rally and your friendship in the club.
Jim Woestman
Posted 2011-10-24 7:18 PM (#1532 - in reply to #1529)

Contributor

Thank u Greg Miller and Stephen Heinrichs for a great rally ..My total milage was 4500 mostly fun miles. I traveled out on I-70 and 80 and back on I 40. The train ride and museum were will worth the time. Because of a early winter storm I had to pass on the Chama train. I was told that I had a flat on the inside duo. Steering was not good but I thought because of strong winds and no water weight on front I didn't check on flat tire until truck driver wrote me a note. In OK City I had the tire taken off and came home on 5 tires at 60 mph. As some of u know I don't carry a spare because of the rear end weight. There was only 200 miles left. The tire had a bolt in it. This tire is 9 years old and was showing fatigue on the inside more than the outside. In order to sell me another tire they said the 9 year tire was not safe. The mate 9 year old tire carried me home by itself at 60 mph without handling problems. I will be ready for the next rally real soon. Thank you everybody for my trip what I had hoped it to be. #617 has a lot of miles to go before I hang it up.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)