Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

509 Brakes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

Bair
Posted 2010-05-16 4:27 PM (#1115)
Subject: 509 Brakes

Regular

This is also posed in the Yahoo group but I can put a pic here.

The 509 had new brakes installed by the previous owner shortly before I bought it. At the time, the brakes were grabby but he said that was because they hadn't been used since installation and a fine rust layer needed to be polished off. Seemed logical. I'd heard of this before about vehicles that sit too long.

But the problem got worse as the shoes settled in. The left front had little or no tolerance and had to be braked very gingerly. Not a good operating condition. On the way to get new tires/rims, it locked up completely and the 509 had to be towed to the tire place.

A friend of mine, who's business is an emergency roadside truck service, came over to look. At that point the left front tire had released. He pulled the hub and lubed and checked all the fittings. The newer, stronger return springs from RVS were installed. Still the wheel locked up.

We pulled the right front hub and tried to look for differences. None. This process has gone on for about 4 months and each time we could not tell what was locking up the wheel.

The lead and trailing shoes are identical. Although I did notice that the upper fork, where they engage the wheel cylinder, are bent slightly to one side. On a wild shot, we reversed the shoes.

Now the front wheel seems to be operating properly, but the left rear wheels are locking up even worse that the front used to.

The question is this: before I go through the trouble of dismantling the rears, does this minor bend in the shoe top make any difference? Other than that, the lead and trailing shoes seem to be absolutely identical. They even have the same Bendix part number stamped on them.

Edited by Bair 2010-05-16 4:32 PM

(ShoeBend.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ShoeBend.jpg (165KB - 27 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bair
Posted 2010-06-16 11:35 PM (#1153 - in reply to #1115)
Subject: Re: 509 Brakes

Regular

Well, it does make a difference. We reversed the rear shoes so the tabs bend slightly outward. Now nothing locks up. The problem is cured. Anyone doing brake jobs, pay attention to this.

It's good having the 509 rolling again. I was getting very depressed there for a while.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-10-13 6:32 PM (#6957 - in reply to #1115)

Elite Veteran

bringing a very old post to the top, I just encountered this on my coach and believe that you should have the shoes one side opposite the other with the diagonal slot in the shoe pointing toward the forward rotation of the tire.
andy1canada
Posted 2019-10-13 8:01 PM (#6958 - in reply to #1115)

Elite Veteran

#509 no longer exists Len; she burned to the ground - carburetor fire - a couple of yrs back on central Vancouver Island.
I bought the coach in Santa Cruz from Dale Maggio around 2013' then drove it north about 1000 miles to import it into Canada; freakiest 1000-miles I ever drove anything. The right front brake was locking up so bad that she was very nearly doing lane-changes at 70 mph when I hit the brakes. Too long of a story for here. That trip and the subsequent work I did on the coach is well documented on the Yahoo site, I think. In short, RVS screwed me over for $2400/USD for brake work that did not resolve the issues with #509; they sent me down the road with a small master cylinder feeding 2 large style H-vacs... in other words: 2 - too many residual pressure relief valves. As well, the castle nut on the right front wheel spindle was loose enough that the front wheel had about 1/4" of play at the outer diameter = equals serious wandering about on the road.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Terry
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-10-14 8:57 AM (#6959 - in reply to #6958)

Elite Veteran

I posted a couple more pictures in my brake work album that show the (new information to me) correct orientation of the shoes, this doesn't appear to be covered in the service manuals so for any of you having brake work done, be sure and make note of this. http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=202&p...
Another warm and fuzzy story about RVS...shocker..

Edited by LCAC_Man 2019-10-14 8:58 AM
dkarnath
Posted 2019-10-14 9:03 AM (#6960 - in reply to #6959)

Elite Veteran

Did you have to put the thicker washer on these shoes when they were in the other direction (flipped) to get .015? That would be an interesting find also.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-10-14 9:30 AM (#6961 - in reply to #1115)

Elite Veteran

I'm not done yet, but both passenger side shoes (shoe fork tabs pointed out) did require some additional washers. The drivers front I just installed yesterday (shoe fork tabs pointed in) didn't need that.
andy1canada
Posted 2019-10-14 9:48 AM (#6962 - in reply to #1115)
Subject: RE: 509 Brakes

Elite Veteran

Nother' great post. Thanks Len!

Terry
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software