Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DRIVE-LINE TORQUE SPECS
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

andy1canada
Posted 2020-11-07 9:32 AM (#7635)
Subject: DRIVE-LINE TORQUE SPECS

Elite Veteran

In the midst of doing my U-joints and discovered the torque specs in my copy(s) of the service manual are barely legible; however, I discovered another reference included on our wonderful Norwegian brother's website.

See: FMC Motorcoach.com/Service Bulletins/Drive Line Alignment/Page 4

If my interpretation is correct, all U-joints and the 4-yoke nuts fixing the yoke to the park-brake are torqued to 25-30 ft/lbs.

NOTE: There appears to be conflicting information on the correct torque spec for the input and output differential shafts.

In the above service bulletin reference the spec for the input shaft yoke-nut is 150 ft/lbs; that same spec can be found elsewhere in the Parts/Service manual; however, as has been discussed here recently, there is also another torque-spec reference for the pinion yoke nut and output shaft(s) yoke-nuts that specifies a 500 to 600 ft/lb. torque requirement.

See: Service Manual/Group 18/Differential/Pages: 18-8; Table 18-2, page 18-9

There may be other conflicting references that I don't have time to search for now.

I consider this to be a serious conflict of information that, unless I'm oblivious to the reason for it, has caused many people a lot of unnecessary effort, grief, and certainly in my own case - considerable expense to deal with over-torqued damaged parts. Just last week - while doing the 600-ft/lb Schwarzenegger - I managed to strip my pinion shaft which cost me a tidy $250/CAD to have it repaired.

If what I'm stating here is true, the correction should be made on the website and all coach owners should rightly be made aware of it.

Terry
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cstock
Posted 2020-12-10 2:52 PM (#7650 - in reply to #7635)
Subject: Re: DRIVE-LINE TORQUE SPECS

Contributor

The service manual pg. 18-8 part E-6, and pg. 18-9 "place INPUT yoke washer and nut on shaft and torque to 500 to 600' lbs. same as pg. 18 part g-6 OUTPUT nut 500-600'lbs. On what I have a copy of, pg. 18-2 and pg. 18-9 it reads all input (transmission side) spiders/yokes tighten to 25-30'lbs. and output spider/yokes 70-80'lbs. The 150' lb. you referenced is I believe referring to the splined inboard end of the wheel axle shaft found on pg. 17-6 step 14. I just replaced an output drive shaft seal and came to the site with the same questions. But while typing up my question I referenced page numbers which I reread so many times it finally helped me sort it out.
'
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)