Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FMC Book Project
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> DiscussionMessage format

autotraveler
Posted 2020-07-03 4:27 PM (#7425)
Subject: FMC Book Project

(174.250.42.7)
As someone who has owned a GMC motorhome and currently owns an FMC motorhome, I think that I occupy a somewhat unique position among FMC owners (#487). I am also an automotive writer, editor, and publisher and feel that the knowledge library of FMC falls short of its GMC counterparts. I want to address that shortfall.

A project that I have put on my 2021 schedule is to publish a book on FMC motorhomes. Part of the book will be a short history, possibly 1,200 to 1,500 words (I'm looking for someone to write that section), along with 20 to 22, four-page layouts that can be published on-demand through Amazon. It would be a 100-page effort (a four-page cover file and a 96-page interior file). The bulk of the interior file will comprise of 20-22 four-page spreads on individual survivors.

Here's a link to a four-page PDF mock-up of what I have in mind.

https://photos.imageevent.com/mmm_mag/fmcmotorhomebookmaterials/FMC%...

Having done similar 100-page print-on-demand efforts previously, I can say that such books, when self-published and distributed through Amazon, something similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Travelers-Classic-Car-Premiere/dp/...

will sell for around $20.

What I am looking for here are those initial 20-25 owners who can supply the necessary photos and a 400-word write-up on their coach, to be published in volume one. If the project is successful, I see publishing subsequent volumes when I can assemble the necessary materials to do a 20-coach volume two and subsequent volume three.

After looking at the four-page mock-up, who among the participants here, would like to see their coach profiled in volume one? And who is willing to supply the necessary 10 or so photos along with a 400-word history narrative on your coach?

I've spoken to Stephen Heinrichs about this and it would be my intent to assemble for volume one, a cross-section of coaches from all years of production. Some would be essentially stock/original, others upgraded, including transit bus conversions.

Who would like to participate and if you have editorial or publishing experience, especially if you are well-connected in the FMC community, be willing to help me on this project? You can reach me at fmc2900r@gmail.com.

Have a Happy Fourth of July and a safe holiday weekend.

Richard Truesdell

Top of the page Bottom of the page
fmc708
Posted 2020-07-13 8:31 PM (#7444 - in reply to #7425)
Subject: Re: FMC Book Project

(73.222.192.150)
Crickets. I would definitely participate. Thanks!

Greg
FrothyShank
Posted 2020-07-18 11:18 AM (#7448 - in reply to #7444)

(71.95.148.245)
Nice idea. Nice coach too. I'd like to participate, but as a new owner with a lot of work ahead, #959 isn't "ready for her close-up"!
autotraveler
Posted 2020-07-18 1:26 PM (#7449 - in reply to #7425)
Subject: RE: FMC Book Project

(174.250.36.2)
Having only been an FMC owner for just 18 months, I am a bit surprised at the lack of a response here. I've seen so many really cool coaches in this forum as well as other places online. I've developed the template to facilitate the production of what I hope would be a series after the first one is published.

All that is required to participate is one really good photo of your coach -- preferable on a camping location site -- along with up to a dozen interior and detail photos, and about 400 words describing your coach's history. Many of you already have the needed materials for me to come up with something just like this.

https://photos.imageevent.com/mmm_mag/fmcmotorhomebookmaterials/FMC%...

If I have the requested materials, it takes me less than 15 minutes to come up with the layout as they would be produced as a series. I'm thinking that if the first 100-page volume was produced, follow-up volumes, featuring 12 coaches each (over 52 pages rather than 100 pages) could be published at a price of $10/each as a print-on-demand edition.

Should I continue to pursue this idea or is there not enough traction and support here to go forward?

Richard Truesdell

borrmann
Posted 2020-07-19 4:35 PM (#7450 - in reply to #7449)

(216.46.157.231)
I would be interested but my coach is not an original, lots of changes. Frank #645
autotraveler
Posted 2020-07-19 7:49 PM (#7451 - in reply to #7450)

(174.250.44.7)
Frank,

Your coach doesn't need to be original. They are, after all, nearly 50 years old so most will be modified in some way, as is mine.

Here's a look at mine, #487.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9irBAVYlng&t=29s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDjcQy3SZmc

I see some photos in my in-box, let me see if I can do a layout. Be prepared to come up with 400 words, if you haven't already.

This is a medium-term project as right now I'm finishing two books -- one on 1969.5/1970 muscle cars for Motorbooks, the other a Bob Riggle (Hemi Under Glass biography) for CarTech -- so in a few weeks I can devote some time to this. If I can get the FMC book done by Election Day, I can have it up on Amazon before Thanksgiving, which is the perfect time to have it on offer.

Best,

Rich

Edited by autotraveler 2020-07-19 8:06 PM
woodlandfarms
Posted 2020-07-25 9:01 PM (#7473 - in reply to #7425)

(75.100.224.137)
There is also a lot of activity at the Facebook site. Not as technical as this or as deep in history but I find myself browsing both sites. As for the book, like most of the responses I am a year out before I would want to have it photographed.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)