Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone a transfer switch expert, I need help
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

woodlandfarms
Posted 2020-06-25 11:33 AM (#7399)
Subject: Anyone a transfer switch expert, I need help

Regular

So I am really struggling with making what I have work. I even went so far as to say last night I am abandoning the automated transfer system and moving to a manual switch. Only problem is there is no manual switch that I could find that would handle my situation.

Basically I replaced my old 1000 watt inverter which had melted down with a modern 3000 watt pure sine system. It is cool, it charges batteries, has a built in relay for a 30 amp system....

Well, forwhatever reason, it has causes all the relays to go nuts. I have ideas as to what is causing it, but everytime I lay out a solution on paper I end up causing a new one. Most if it centers around feeding a 120v single leg into a 240 volt system and not causing a massive melt down.

So if you are skilled at this, would take any and all constructive advice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
woodlandfarms
Posted 2020-06-25 11:46 AM (#7400 - in reply to #7399)
Subject: Re: Anyone a transfer switch expert, I need help

Regular

Heres a link to what some pix of what I have going on.

http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid...
TravalonSF
Posted 2020-06-25 5:22 PM (#7401 - in reply to #7399)
Subject: RE: Anyone a transfer switch expert, I need help

Contributor

Len Barron may be a good resource for you as his coach I recently purchase has a 4000 watt inverter.

Just a thought.
B. Sitton
Posted 2020-06-26 8:47 AM (#7403 - in reply to #7399)

Extreme Veteran

I have a 120v adapter that plugs on my 50 amp 240v shore power cord. It poweres the entire 120v system. Nothing uses 240v. Make a 120v power cord from inverter output. Get the adapter to plug the 240v shore power to 120v source. Plug inverter output to the shore power cord. Presto! If someone has any reason it won’t work say something quick. Seems like the best way to me. Unplug from inverter if you want to plug into shore power. You might be able to run another 120v shore power cord to plug the inverter in for the battery charging feature.
Bill
woodlandfarms
Posted 2020-06-26 12:06 PM (#7404 - in reply to #7399)

Regular

Oddly enough I had a dream last night about this problem, and having a solution that involves the two relays and how I run them.... Going to put it on paper this AM but I think I have a plan.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2020-06-26 9:20 PM (#7406 - in reply to #7404)

Elite Veteran

I offered the solution and drew it out and put it on the FB page for him...Robert is running it on my old rig in exactly that configuration...standard FMC transfer switch works just fine with no extra relays..
woodlandfarms
Posted 2020-06-26 10:53 PM (#7407 - in reply to #7399)

Regular

Thanks Len. I got the drawing and it makes perfect sense. As did your advice about simplifying. Will keep everyone posted as I won't be able to dig into this until Sunday.
woodlandfarms
Posted 2020-07-01 12:54 AM (#7419 - in reply to #7399)

Regular

So just as an update, did a bunch of youtubing and learned how relays and transfer switches work and how to wire them so they won't operate at the same time. After sitting for an hour, and having a dream, I figured out how to take my 3 transfer switches and my 2 relays and automate my system without causing out of phase feedback. I ended up pulling out the transfer switch box and sat with my crimpers and a bunch of multi-colored wire and re-wired all the relay circuits and it works. And I haven't let any smoke out of the wires. The only big issue is that if I were to have a failure in one of the relays, it could potentially be bad depending on whether I am on 220 or 110. I have a second version. What was interesting, or sad, was that at some point there was a ground failure and the panel shows some serious heat. Nothing to make replacing necessary, but quite surprising to see.
B. Sitton
Posted 2020-07-01 9:24 AM (#7420 - in reply to #7419)

Extreme Veteran

220 or 110. The FMC has no 220 loads from the factory. The 50 amp 220 shore power cord supplies 110 volts to two separate runs of breakers. No 220 circuits.
I’ve seen coaches where the transfer switch was removed and the genset output went to an outlet box and the shore power cord plugs into the outlet. Handy to run big loads straight off the genset with the coach unplugged.
Easiest fix for the inverter was to wire it to a 110 outlet and plug the shore power cord into the outlet with an adapter. Must defeat any search function on the inverter if it is equipped with one. But if you figured out another much harder way congratulations.
The next guy might find an outlet easier to install.
Bill
woodlandfarms
Posted 2020-07-01 11:54 AM (#7421 - in reply to #7399)

Regular

Technically it would not have any 240 volt loads and 120 volt legs. But semantics aside, I mulled over removing the transfer switch and going to a rotary switch. In the end it is the safest outside of a direct plug. Problem is I could not find a 4-way (Off, Shore, Generator, Inverter) Rotary that had 3 legs, so I made what I had work and it works well I must say. Just like a modern coach. The only difference is I am not going to have an auto start for the generator, and keep it to a manual start.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)