Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Trader's Market -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Parking Pawl / Sprag Chrysler 727
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trader's MarketMessage format

Tank Girl
Posted 2020-05-04 2:19 PM (#7285)
Subject: Parking Pawl / Sprag Chrysler 727

Contributor

Hi All,
I'm having trouble locating a parking sprag for a 727 transmission. My mechanic gave me a Chrysler part #2801157. Does anyone happen to have one laying around?
Thanks,
Steve
Tank Girl 484
Swamp Thing 1036
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2020-05-04 2:31 PM (#7286 - in reply to #7285)
Subject: Re: Parking Pawl / Sprag Chrysler 727

Expert

I don’t but I do know of another coach that needs one!
Tank Girl
Posted 2020-05-06 9:34 AM (#7296 - in reply to #7285)

Contributor

Still searching....

Checked in with the mechanic today. Seems it's much easier just to replace the whole tail shaft but most of the 727's I'm seeing for sale have the long tail shaft. Has anyone ever removed the pawl in one of these? It looks like a pin holds it in place but the pin actually has female threads. I'm assuming the mechanism is the same in the long tail shaft versions. Any input would be helpful.
Thanks!
B. Sitton
Posted 2020-05-06 10:08 PM (#7297 - in reply to #7296)

Extreme Veteran

You don’t have a 727 guy working on that! The piece you must be needing (why) is the governor support. The pin that holds the governor valve and weight in the governor body goes through the output shaft and is held in with 2 E clips. The governor body is bolted onto the governor support with 4 bolts, 1/4” bolts. The governor is held on the shaft by a snap ring and the pin running through the output shaft. I’ll say all the 727 governor supports are the same. No matter the tail shaft length. Why do you need this part replaced if you can elaborate??
Bill. Too many to count
Tank Girl
Posted 2020-05-07 12:40 AM (#7298 - in reply to #7297)

Contributor

Hi Bill
My question has nothing to do with the governer.
I'm referring to the pin that holds the spring loaded parking pawl in place located within the tail shaft housing of the 727. My parking pawl is broken. Since the parking pawl itself is not available I am stuck buying a complete used tail shaft housing. They come in several lengths, mine being the 12". The longer shafts are much more common and I was asking if anyone has ever removed the parking pawl from a longer tail shaft and used in in the 12" shaft. The pin looks like its about 3/8" and pressed into the housing. The pin has female threads approximately 1/4" drilled in the center of it (maybe to accommodate a special tool or a slide hammer).
Picture located in the "Tank Girl" album.
Thanks!
B. Sitton
Posted 2020-05-07 8:05 AM (#7300 - in reply to #7298)

Extreme Veteran

Ok you just changed gears. Sprag turned into pawl. The pin pulls right out. No magic and a slip fit. The spring keeps some tension on it.
I’m only as good as the data presented.
I replaced the pawl for another FMC owner a few years ago. I’ll do some research for you but I do have a used one if I can’t locate one for sale for you. Be right back.
Bill
B. Sitton
Posted 2020-05-07 8:37 AM (#7302 - in reply to #7300)

Extreme Veteran

Have one in hand. I sent you a message. You should see a small red 1 next to inbox, close to the top of the page.
Bill
Tank Girl
Posted 2020-05-07 10:37 AM (#7305 - in reply to #7302)

Contributor

Bill, PM Sent... Thanks!!!

Sorry about the terminology confusion, I originally called it a sprag because that's what the Chrysler part number called it. Probably a miss print, I've called them pawls all my career.

And also thanks for the tip on the pin. I haven't tried to remove it yet, I just assumed it was press fit. The threads in the pin must be there to screw a bolt in and help extract it.

Kind Regards,
Sound guy Steve
Tank Girl 484
Swamp Thing 1036

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software