Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Trader's Market -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wanted: Brake Shoes or Cores
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trader's MarketMessage format

Tank Girl
Posted 2020-04-23 6:24 PM (#7251)
Subject: Wanted: Brake Shoes or Cores

Contributor

Hi All, new owner here.

My wife and I just purchased #484 today. Coach is in decent shape but has been sitting so it does have brake issues... at least one wheel cylinders is leaking and there is a loud metallic squeal coming from one wheel. Going into the shop tomorrow for inspection but I suspect it will need new shoes. It took half a dozen phone calls before I found a mechanic that wasn't scared off so I'd like to be prepared to help him get parts in a timely manner.

Does anyone have a decent set of brake shoes or cores for sale?
Does anyone have a good source with quick turn around for re-lining cores?

I saw there was/is a restoration shop in Illinois. Does anyone know if they are still in business? They are not answering phones but there website is still up. I'm hoping they are just temporarily closed due to covid.

I've got lot's of other questions but I'll do some more thread reading and try to answer some of them on my own. It's a shame I missed out on all the good Yahoo info but I'm very appreciative of the wealth of info I've already found here.

Kind Regards,
Sound Guy Steve & Tank Girl

Top of the page Bottom of the page
hemi354az
Posted 2020-04-23 10:49 PM (#7252 - in reply to #7251)
Subject: Re: Wanted: Brake Shoes or Cores

Extreme Veteran

Hello Steve,
Welcome to the Wunnerful World of the FMC.
Help us help you . . . WHERE ARE YOU ?
Lou #120
Tank Girl
Posted 2020-04-24 6:40 AM (#7253 - in reply to #7252)

Contributor

hemi354az - 2020-04-23 10:49 PM

Hello Steve,
Welcome to the Wunnerful World of the FMC.
Help us help you . . . WHERE ARE YOU ?
Lou #120

Hi Lou,

I'm hoping it's a Wunnerful world and not a never ending battle.

I'm in Dayton, OH. The lack of brake parts is the one thing that was a deal breaker for me... finding such a good support site changed my mind.

I've been driving by #484 in my neighborhood for two years now and finally decided to research it. Before I searched it I thought the FMC was for Ford Motor Company lol. With an asking price of 19k I just kept on driving by but when my wife said she liked the style of it I decide to contact the owner and take a closer look. I still can't believe we purchased a 46 year old motor coach but here I am.

It's going to live in Sardinia, OH at Lake Waynoka. No big road trips planned at this time, just back and forth from the campground to a lot on the lake.

Cheers,
Sound Guy Steve & Tank Girl

BigRabbitMan
Posted 2020-04-24 9:26 AM (#7254 - in reply to #7251)

Expert

The place in IL is effectively out of business. The owner passed away a number of years ago and his wife now occasionally answers the phone. The website hasn’t been updated in many years. I just had the occasion to redo my rear brakes. The wheel cylinders are available from Napa. Search this site for the part number. I needed, the shoes will need to be relined as new ones are not available. There should be a clutch and brake relining shop in Dayton I expect. Do you have all three manuals? Owners manual, parts manual, and service manual.
hemi354az
Posted 2020-04-24 2:34 PM (#7257 - in reply to #7253)

Extreme Veteran

Try - https://www.macraesbluebook.com/search/product_company_list.cfm?prod...

Key dimensions are 14-1/8" Diameter and 3-1/2" Wide.

Also check with John Deere, Case-International Harvester, New Holland, CAT, others . . . Farm Equipment Sales,Service/Repair.

Lou #120
Tank Girl
Posted 2020-04-24 2:37 PM (#7258 - in reply to #7254)

Contributor

Hi Stephen, Your coach number is kinda cool... one of the final 5 eh?

Thanks for the quick response. I'm sorry to hear the IL dealer is deceased. I was hopeful they would be my go to for parts. I have had luck finding wheel cylinders and hydraulics thanks to the part numbers on these forums.

I also did find all the shop manuals thanks to whoever runs fmcmotorcoach.com

I just dropped off 484 at a highly recommended truck repair shop in town and the owner seems like a knowledgeable guy who can handle anything. He mentioned he's had shoes relined before. My concern is if there is metal to metal and my cores are wasted or worse yet if someone installed the wrong shoes. And of course there is the possibility the drums are done... ugh. I'll know soon enough when I get the phone call after he completes the inspection.

I realized after I left that that this is first vehicle in 40 years of driving that I've let someone else touch the brakes. I'm kind of a stickler when it comes to that. I just don't have the space right now to do it myself.

When I get her back I'll post cost, part #'s, etc.

Cheers,
Sound Guy Steve & Tank Girl 484

Tank Girl
Posted 2020-04-24 2:54 PM (#7259 - in reply to #7257)

Contributor

Hi Lou,

Thanks for chiming in with that good info, I'll pass those dimensions along to the mechanic. Keeping my fingers crossed that all the important stuff is intact and re-usable.

On a side note, It was a fun ride to the brake shop with very little stopping power. Drove slow with the hazards on. Couldn't believe how many heads this thing turned and I even got a big thumbs up from someone who passed me. These rigs really do stand out.

Kind Regards,
Sound Guy Steve & Tank Girl 484

BigRabbitMan
Posted 2020-04-24 3:36 PM (#7261 - in reply to #7251)

Expert

Should you need any brake drums they are available from Dura-Brake. I can post the part number later if needed.
hemi354az
Posted 2020-04-24 4:02 PM (#7262 - in reply to #7261)

Extreme Veteran

Only ones ever obtained . . .
Please see - http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=937&post...

Minimum Quantity 8 ea., from some Dealer that DuraBrake does bidness with.
Good as original from MWR, but NOT balanced.
Lou #120

Edited by hemi354az 2020-04-24 4:08 PM
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2020-04-24 4:48 PM (#7263 - in reply to #7262)

Expert

hemi354az - 2020-04-24 2:02 PM Only ones ever obtained . . . Please see - http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=937&post... Minimum Quantity 8 ea., from some Dealer that DuraBrake does bidness with. Good as original from MWR, but NOT balanced. Lou #120

Well, on Feb 24, 2020 I ordered one brake drum from Durabrake and it was shipped out the next day. It was properly machined and drilled. The drum was $345.00 plus shipping. It is a stock item and shipped from their Sacramento warehouse when I got mine.

The part number is 13174, email: sales@durabrake.com, phone: 408-748-0400 per my invoice.

hemi354az
Posted 2020-04-24 5:03 PM (#7264 - in reply to #7263)

Extreme Veteran

WOW ! My APOLOGY Stephan.

I had no idea "It is a stock item and shipped from their Sacramento warehouse" " the next day".
I'm sure many other FMCers will be glad to know that as well.
Was it balanced ?

I got 2 of the 20 that Greg got made, so until now that was my reference experience.
Please DELETE my Message #7262 ! Thanks.

GO STEPHAN !
Lou #120
Tank Girl
Posted 2020-04-24 5:13 PM (#7265 - in reply to #7263)

Contributor

BigRabbitMan - 2020-04-24 4:48 PM

hemi354az - 2020-04-24 2:02 PM Only ones ever obtained . . . Please see - http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=937&post... Minimum Quantity 8 ea., from some Dealer that DuraBrake does bidness with. Good as original from MWR, but NOT balanced. Lou #120

Well, on Feb 24, 2020 I ordered one brake drum from Durabrake and it was shipped out the next day. It was properly machined and drilled. The drum was $345.00 plus shipping. It is a stock item and shipped from their Sacramento warehouse when I got mine.

The part number is 13174, email: sales@durabrake.com, phone: 408-748-0400 per my invoice.

Awesome, I call dibs on 4 of them lol. Don't everyone go buying them up before I get #484 safe again. That price might just keep me out of the doghouse. I promised my sweetheart i could fix this thing.

Many Thanks,
Sound Guy Steve and Tank Girl 484
Tank Girl
Posted 2020-04-24 5:26 PM (#7266 - in reply to #7265)

Contributor

Update:

I just talked to Sean at durabrake and he has 15 in stock and confirmed that part #13174 is for FMC. I pulled the trigger on 4, I'd like this brake job to outlive me.

Thanks for the info Stephen,
Sound guy Steve and Tank Girl 484
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)