Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FMC Yahoo Website will shut down Dec 14, 2019
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> DiscussionMessage format

hemi354az
Posted 2019-10-31 4:35 PM (#7017)
Subject: FMC Yahoo Website will shut down Dec 14, 2019

(68.2.104.9)
In case you haven't heard - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true

Any files, PHOTOS, entries, "other", you are interested in can be downloaded by you to whatever you want UNTIL DEC 14 . . . then they are gone forever.
Apparently there has been some "talk" among the "administrata" about what to do . . . but so far they are not saying anything about anything.
So . . . herein, you have now been FOREWARNED.
Seems it may turn out that it is every man for himself.
Lou #120
Top of the page Bottom of the page
andy1canada
Posted 2019-10-31 4:43 PM (#7018 - in reply to #7017)
Subject: Re: FMC Yahoo Website will shut down Dec 14, 2019

(108.172.101.233)
Can the main thread stream be archived on the OG Forum?

There's a lot of good stuff in there, with a good chunk of it from folks who are no longer with us.

I fondly recall reading through about 9000 posts just before I bought #846. Learned a crap-ton!

Also remember fixating on the post-tally numbers as they crept up towards the 10,000 marker... then making damn sure I was the 10,000-th post. Another 'silly-but-true' moment in my FMC story. :-0

Terry
dkarnath
Posted 2019-10-31 5:14 PM (#7019 - in reply to #7018)

(204.10.247.1)
Im right there with ya Terry, except I stumbled a crossed both the websites AFTER I bought my first 500 dollar beat down special....I remember your 10,000 post. I remember reading on and finding out when some members passed, was almost like losing a friend after reading so much of there work....A matter of months after I bought 850, Black retired and all FMC business support closed, I was able to get a couple used parts from him first though. I was feeling lost their for a bit wondering if FMC coaches would slowly die...But they sure haven't. Most of the people who buy them now have no idea their was ever factory support for something this old and rare. These websites are golden.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-10-31 5:47 PM (#7020 - in reply to #7019)

(172.10.134.245)
I'm a big forum guy, at any given time I'm an active poster on 6 -10 different forums and have been for 15-ish years. As a group we are going to have to decide whether or not we want a dedicated owners forum enough to actually kick in some scratch every year to keep it up, good forum service cost money. The alternative is just to let the FB group take it all over, and I can tell you from experience that happens more often than not, a few of the older forums I used to frequent are completely shut down now to to lack of participation, a couple more are just sputtering along but dont offer any real value anymore.
My two pennies on this is to change the FB Group page to just allowing single post with no commenting, something that would be good for pictures and a little PR, but that is a clear road sign to the owners forum. And for the owners forum we kick in $10-20 a year to get something that really works, where you can embed half a dozen reasonable size pictures in each post and each member is linked to all his photos and can be direct messaged on the board.
If we leave it as is the FB group will suck what little activity there is here completely away..

Edited by LCAC_Man 2019-10-31 5:48 PM
dkarnath
Posted 2019-10-31 5:58 PM (#7021 - in reply to #7020)

(204.10.247.1)
Very true Len, I personally don't care for the Facebook FMC stuff yet..It's too Facebook?? lol. A quality forum where you can add pics etc like you said would be great, a newer style format. I have zero idea what that costs???
hemi354az
Posted 2019-11-01 9:13 PM (#7022 - in reply to #7017)
Subject: RE: FMC Yahoo Website will shut down Dec 14, 2019

(68.2.104.9)
This FMC Owners website has served me well for many years. Only thing I could suggest as improvement . . . allow higher KB for posted pictures.
The FMC Yahoo website also served me well for the same years . . . except when they got a new CEO that started "new and improved" changes that made it MORE DIFFICULT to use.
I use(d) both and really have(had) no preference. I have started copying pictures and certain messages from the Yahoo.

I avoid any FaceBook, Twitter, or other "chat with celebreties" and you friends while you are sitting NEXT TO THEM at the Mall, that operate primarily for chit-chat on I-phones and other 3" X 5" "devices".
But some adults like the "postcards", and the adoring worship of a certain Insomniac in the White Castle who relates the facts about EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY he has learned from a Burning Bush.

I'm "in" if some contribution is required to maintain/improve THIS Website, and feel the same about our Friend Kjetil's website - http://www.fmcmotorcoach.com/index.html -.

Internet/Click/Thumb ON ON ON!
Lou #120

Edited by hemi354az 2019-11-01 9:17 PM
byegorge
Posted 2020-01-05 3:21 AM (#7141 - in reply to #7017)

(71.197.142.167)
So Yahoo says no more content uploads, all the data is gone but the group is still there. What are they expecting to happen, what type of activity on the page, what value to the user? As far as 'FaceBook' every time I hear of another problem caused by 'FaceBook' policies it makes me want to join NOT! I guess you have to want to be on 'FaceBook'.
andy1canada
Posted 2020-01-05 9:18 AM (#7142 - in reply to #7017)

(108.172.101.233)
Kjetil's website is a pretty awesome tool for all of us to have at our disposal.

I'm particularly fond of the easy online access to the parts/service manuals; however, if I'm not mistaken, it's missing a considerable number of pages from these manuals and sure as hell it'll be on of those pages you need to reference when you're waylayed on the side of the road somewhere near Flin Flon, Manitoba.

IIRC, some of the photocopies of the service bulletin pages are perhaps not as legible as they could be.

Maybe its just my eyes taking leave of me as I get older.

Regardless, I remain forever grateful to Kjetil for all the great work he contributed here.

Terry
hemi354az
Posted 2020-01-05 12:07 PM (#7143 - in reply to #7142)

(68.2.104.9)
Well Terry, since you know what is missing . . . I'm sure that if you send those missing pages . . . in a clear and legible form . . . to Kjetil, he will include them in his FREE TO US Website.
NO SNIVELING !
Lou #120
andy1canada
Posted 2020-01-05 12:58 PM (#7144 - in reply to #7017)

(108.172.101.233)
"Regardless, I remain forever grateful to Kjetil for all the great work he contributed here."

Sniveling?

Terry
hemi354az
Posted 2020-01-05 1:50 PM (#7146 - in reply to #7144)

(68.2.104.9)
"it's missing a considerable number of pages from these manuals and sure as hell it'll be on of those pages you need to reference when you're waylayed on the side of the road somewhere near Flin Flon, Manitoba.

IIRC, some of the photocopies of the service bulletin pages are perhaps not as legible as they could be."

Yes . . . SNIVELING.
Lou #120
andy1canada
Posted 2020-01-05 2:29 PM (#7147 - in reply to #7146)

(108.172.101.233)
Thanks Lou!

Slam-on...

Terry
Duramaxer
Posted 2020-01-05 1:32 PM (#7145 - in reply to #7017)

(84.213.60.255)
Thank you!
I appreciate the feedback on my webpage.
The motivation has always been to make documentation and history on the FMC2900r available for everyone, online and for free. I was quite annoyed of al the “secrecy” and “gospel of the Guru”s” going on back then 10 plus years ago.

I’m aware of missing pages” in the manuals, But I have never seen a shop manual for the 2900r that is a “factory complete”.
Lately I have recently acquired software that allows me to edit and arrange PDF’s so I can improve and clean up the manual files.
So if you have original material missing in the online manuals on FMC.MOTORCOAC.COM then PLEASE send them to me.

I also have ambitions on writing alternative (available) parts.nr in to the parts manual, but there is an issue with quality control when it comes to this. Maybe we should start a online share point where some of us can start work on this? Has to be confirmed information.
Would this be useful information for you?

I also have asked several times for bulletins not found on my site. I if you have any, please send copies. I could insert these in the shop manual. PM for my e-mail if you don’t have it.
Any manuals on the original appliances is also of interest.

A new coach database with pictures is ”work in progress” but will never be finished and published by me until the Club is willing to share the original owners listing that was acquired from RVS. I just take note that after all these years collecting and charging information on the FMC Motorcoach I’m not trusted access to this information.

Help me help you, I guess that’s what I’m trying to say here.

Stay cool!
Kjetil

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)