Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shocks?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

andy1canada
Posted 2019-10-27 6:52 PM (#6990)
Subject: Shocks?

Elite Veteran

Monroe #74028 http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/74028/

Question: Monroe lists this shock with a 14.7" 'compressed length and a max extension of just under 23". Does this mean that this (14.7") is the length it compresses to while cruising down a level flat road with x-load of vehicle weight on it, or, is this the minimum compression it would collapse if you hit a big bump suddenly? To phrase it another way, depending on the load would it be normally sitting at 16" - 17" and leave the rest of the compression-stroke to absorb a bump?

These things have over 8" of travel. More than I imagined.
Trying to estimate how the shock will affect trailing-arm travel so I can design the air-spring mount/extensions for it.

Going to be a bitch working under there. Looking more like I'll have to support the coach on the frame so the trailing arms drop... so I can get at them. Agggghhh!

Any shocking-advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2019-10-27 10:50 PM (#6991 - in reply to #6990)
Subject: Re: Shocks?

Expert

Yes, you need to support the frame so that you can move things at will and so that it won’t move on it’s own when you are putting weight back on to the coach.
byegorge
Posted 2019-10-28 2:03 AM (#6992 - in reply to #6990)

Veteran

The two measurements are as long and short as it can be 'ride height' will be somewhere in between those two. Remember the angle of the shock in relation to the swing arm will change the force on the suspension also.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-10-28 8:00 AM (#6993 - in reply to #6992)

Elite Veteran

Are you planning on relocating the existing shock/mount? Quit worrying about the shock, focus on your desired ride height and design your airbag structure to support that, if you determine later that the stock shock mount isn't where you want it then move the upper mount accomodate it or change to a different shock.
You are nuking this out..
andy1canada
Posted 2019-10-28 8:33 AM (#6994 - in reply to #6990)
Subject: RE: Shocks?

Elite Veteran

Thanks you guys.

Sort of what I figured on the shock travel thing. As I thought more about it, I recalled how if you suddenly put all your weight on one corner of the bumper of a small car, then quickly let it go, it springs up quick slightly above the height it started at - then settles back to it. So, it follows that if the shock is designed with 8" of available travel then it should sit somewhere in the middle in a given application.

Yes Len, this is simple stuff to you - and others - but it's all new ground to me. Always been the type to want to know how and why shite works like it does and shocks have never been on my radar.

Cheers,
Terry
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-10-28 10:49 AM (#6996 - in reply to #6990)

Elite Veteran

I'm not suggesting that it is "simple stuff". In fact shock valving and placement are pretty complex, but, all of that is done for you, all you want to do is assist your existing suspension, that's it. You are not looking to redesign /change any geometry, you are staying within the original design envelop and just adding capacity. Like discussed before, allow the suspension to droop fully but not bind the driveshafts, find a workable spot on the frame to mount your airbag and build down from there ensuring sufficient distance for the bag to be fully inflated plus the dimensions of your frame mounting structure, then build over to the trailing arm(parallel to the frame), that's it, as long as the bag you selected has sufficient travel (8" is typical) then you have 8" of travel at the wheel which is more than plenty..
byegorge
Posted 2019-10-29 11:59 PM (#7007 - in reply to #6990)

Veteran

The springs resist compression the shocks resist rebound. In your example a 'good' shock would stop the bounce without exceeding the original ride height it's the 'bad' shocks that let it go up then back down.
andy1canada
Posted 2019-10-30 7:29 AM (#7009 - in reply to #6990)

Elite Veteran

Thanks George! Slowly but surely I'm becoming a shock-pro.

I figure I need new shocks. The last ride to Tofino on the lumpy spots it was like I was on a circus ride - up and down, up and down.

Terry

LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-10-30 8:53 AM (#7010 - in reply to #7009)

Elite Veteran

"I figure I need new shocks"
I think your shopping list "needs" some work.
andy1canada
Posted 2019-10-30 9:06 AM (#7011 - in reply to #6990)
Subject: RE: Shocks?

Elite Veteran

Tell me about it... the deeper I swim the more it hurts!

Terry
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)