Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Brake issue
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

hemi354az
Posted 2020-04-07 12:48 PM (#7200 - in reply to #7199)
Subject: Re: Brake issue

Extreme Veteran

Yes, denatured alcohol. I had forgotten all about that. My Mother used to clean stuff with it . . . and she knew a thing or three about cleaning household stuff.
https://www.google.com/search?q=denatured+alcohol&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS78...
Available at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and other fine suppliers near you.
THX, Henry !
Lou #120
Top of the page Bottom of the page
woodlandfarms
Posted 2020-04-10 8:54 PM (#7202 - in reply to #6473)

Regular

So do brake pads have an inside and an outside? On my rears the tabs that go into the brake cylinder holders are bent a bit "out" toward the wheel when re-installed. But on the front, when I took it apart, the tabs point inward, toward the chassis. I don't see a difference but I don't know truck brakes at all.
hemi354az
Posted 2020-04-10 10:06 PM (#7203 - in reply to #7202)

Extreme Veteran

Disc brakes have pads. Do you have disc brakes ?
What does the Service Manual say about the brake SHOES ?
Front ? Rear ? Leading? Trailing shoe ? All 8 have the same PART NUMBER.
I have several new brake shoes and some are straight and others are bent.
I don't think it makes any difference since nothing but the pin goes there and there is nothing else around.
Lou #120
Might have been something with the tooling/fixture when they were made.

LCAC_Man
Posted 2020-04-12 10:41 AM (#7211 - in reply to #6473)

Elite Veteran

make sure you have the shoes configured with the slot pointing toward the forward rotation of the tire, if your shoes have bent tabs they will bend in on one side and out on the other: http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=202&p...
woodlandfarms
Posted 2020-04-12 11:22 AM (#7213 - in reply to #6473)

Regular

Thanks Len. Got it. Hopefully today we bleed and then go brake.
woodlandfarms
Posted 2020-04-13 6:09 PM (#7219 - in reply to #6473)

Regular

Just came up with an situation I can't find an answer for. I am fortunate to have a pressure brake bleeder. Its an older one, metal, high quality, inherited. I have only used it a few times so I am no expert. Two questions. First is that I emptied (DOT3) and cleaned it, filled it with denatured alcohol and have finished my Alchol flush using it. So now it is time to move to DOT 5. Do I need to blow the brakes out with air first? I understood it that I just "chased" the alcohol with DOT 5 as they will not mix. But my neighbor, who is a heavy truck mechanic and NOT a DOT 5 expert said I should not. Second, how do you guys make sure your pressure pot is clean? DO you do a tear down and wipe it out? Or do you just run it till it is dry?
woodlandfarms
Posted 2020-04-13 9:07 PM (#7220 - in reply to #6473)

Regular

Another question this evening. My front brake booster has two bleed plugs, one close to the drum (source from master I assume) and one next to the end of the piston (by the line to the front brakes). Which is the correct bleed to bleed from? My back booster only has one bleed and it is next to the line headed to the brakes.
B. Sitton
Posted 2020-04-13 10:19 PM (#7221 - in reply to #7220)

Extreme Veteran

Bleed both when your booster has two bleed screws.
Bill
B. Sitton
Posted 2020-04-14 9:01 AM (#7222 - in reply to #6473)

Extreme Veteran

I would blow air through the lines. I did when I went to DOT 5. I replaced all 8 wheel cylinders and upgraded #902 to large boosters and master cylinder. I only had to flush the lines, not boosters. I don’t have a pressure bleeder, just used a syringe and clear tubing to flush.
Bill
woodlandfarms
Posted 2020-04-15 2:00 PM (#7223 - in reply to #6473)

Regular

Thanks team. Got the DOT5 in last night with only one issue, the brake line between the two brake cylinders on the rear was not tightened enough. Hated taking the drum off again but it is what it is. Blew the system out, but there was still a small amount of alchohol that came out in the bleed. System is still full of air, even with the pressure pot. Letting it rest today and will bleed it again tomorrow. Did notice one thing, the drop in engine RPM when the brake is depressed feels worse than before. I know in older cars they drop a bit, wondering if my rear brake booster is indeed bad (I thought I tested it and there was no issue but who knows after a cleaning like I did).
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)