Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone a TF 727 expert?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

woodlandfarms
Posted 2019-02-25 8:01 PM (#6289)
Subject: Anyone a TF 727 expert?

Regular

So I thought I had "got me a fat hog" when I bought the FMC. I bought it with the transmission brake out, drive shaft disconnected and rear seal removed. The only thing I could get from anyone was "It has a leak". So I need to figure what is leaking, so I am putting it back together. I go through the bucket (literally, a bucket) of parts, lay them all out. Missing a few brake parts but otherwise it is all there. But there is this mysterious Circlip. Big one. So today I climb under, getting ready to put it all back together and I see the awful truth. The rear bearing is hosed. Whomever took the rear seal out was trying to get the bearing out as well and stopped. It still spins over the shaft, but a number of the bearings are missing. I can provide photos if needed.

So, here are my questions....

Can I remove the rear shaft bearing without removing the transmission

Can I remove the rear shaft bearing without removing the tail?

If I have to remove the tail, does anyone have a how to and any sage advice? What is the best bearing to put back in?

What caused this to happen. This transmission has about 20K on it, but is over 20 years on the rebuild. My thought was that the guy who bought the motorhome accidently drove it with the brake on. Possibly overheated the brake. The springs inside where shrapneled. The thin brake wire was half missing and I found a few parts literally welded into the brake pad.

I dropped the transmission pan, the oil was nice and pink. No burnt smell. Not much debris in the bottom of the pan (No debris, just a bit of grey pad grindings).

Should I just bite the bullet and drop the entire transmission out? I am not set up to do this at this point, and will need to wait for at least 4 months before I can.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
B. Sitton
Posted 2019-02-25 9:41 PM (#6290 - in reply to #6289)
Subject: Re: Anyone a TF 727 expert?

Extreme Veteran

You can remove the extension (tail) housing without removing the transmission. It’s a job but can be done. The bearing is available. We’ll talk.
Bill
woodlandfarms
Posted 2019-02-26 6:39 PM (#6291 - in reply to #6289)

Regular

Hey Bill, just got the tail out, thanks for saying it could be done. Did a Youtube and was squared away. went down to NAPA and they could not figure the bearing out. Do you have a part number or a better source than CRAPA?
woodlandfarms
Posted 2019-02-26 7:51 PM (#6292 - in reply to #6289)

Regular

Let me continue my questions. I need to put the parking brake back on. There is this weird circlip, on the Repari parts List it is #17, the Brake Anchor. Can I use a normal Circlip to replace? This one is pretty hashed altough re-useable if need be.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)