Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Climbing on the roof of your FMC
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

woodlandfarms
Posted 2019-01-26 12:32 PM (#6221)
Subject: Climbing on the roof of your FMC

Regular

So I have searched this site and have reviewed the owners manual. I guess I have missed it but there is nothing I can see about being up on your FMC roof. I had an Argosy trailer before, it was forbidden. Other FMC's have ladders, mine does not.

So this all said, any does and don'ts about being up on the roof. We have a broken vent over top of the lavatory that I need to repair and wanted to get some guidance before I endeavor.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2019-01-26 12:38 PM (#6222 - in reply to #6221)
Subject: Re: Climbing on the roof of your FMC

Expert

Other than the obvious, don’t fall off, there are no restrictions! The ladder was removed by a few owners for a “cleaner” look but I like and use mine. A few also removed the roof rack but I like mine as it makes me feel safer when I am on the roof.
andy1canada
Posted 2019-01-26 6:56 PM (#6225 - in reply to #6221)

Elite Veteran

The roof framing on these coaches is good for a fat-guy. Not sayin' you're fat.

That said, I looked at a coach in Seattle a few years back that had a ladder and when I climbed up on the back to have a look at things the roof around the ladder purchase at the rear top of it was 'crunchie' under foot. The fiberglass exterior seemed to be flexing (inordinately) enough that I could actually hear the foam insulation crunching under foot. I figured maybe at some point maybe several 'fat-guys' were once dancing on that particular spot and that, along with the sellers unwillingness to meet me on the price and some significant handling issues on the test drive, caused me to walk from it; which was tough as there was also 7 nice Alcoa's included with the coach.

There are some FMC framing diagrams or pics here and there but it escapes me right now where I saw them. My advice (FWIW): walk where it's firm under foot and avoid the real springy sections.

I had the good fortune of climbing up on the roof of my coach one frosty morning and noticing there was basically a diagram of the entire coach roof-framing footprint, highlighted by an absence of frost as the warmer aluminum framing beneath the fiberglass appeared wet, not frozen like the rest. I grabbed a pencil and marked out several of the roof members before it thawed; why, I have no clue!

Terry
woodlandfarms
Posted 2019-01-26 7:17 PM (#6226 - in reply to #6221)

Regular

Thanks guys. I am not thin and when I got up there I went across on hands and knees, looking for the cross bracing. It was a bit crunchy up there, I noticed some cracks in the clear coat. This RV is in excellent shape, the roof had been repainted in 2007 I think. Anyway, Will start a new thread with my question.
dkarnath
Posted 2019-01-27 10:19 AM (#6234 - in reply to #6221)

Elite Veteran

I always make it a point to walk on the cross members
Duramaxer
Posted 2019-02-06 5:52 AM (#6265 - in reply to #6234)

Veteran

Hi
This gallery will give you an idea of the structure lay out: http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid...

Kjetil
andy1canada
Posted 2019-02-06 7:59 AM (#6266 - in reply to #6221)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for sharing those Kjetil.

A few I hadn't seen in there.

Terry
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread