Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to tow an FMC
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

woodlandfarms
Posted 2019-01-19 1:12 PM (#6194)
Subject: How to tow an FMC

Regular

So I am in towing hell. My insurance company said it would handle the tow from the lot to my house. The company they sent said they can't handle it. Fine. but before I get on the phone with a tow company can anyone tell me what is the best system to ask for? Because of my road, I don't think I can flatbed the RV all the way to my house. The tow company that showed up said that they could not hook to the rig because the RV was too wide for their tow system.

Any advice you can provide so I can not have a bag of parts show up behind a large tow truck would be great.

Edited by woodlandfarms 2019-01-19 1:13 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
5Dollar
Posted 2019-01-19 2:43 PM (#6195 - in reply to #6194)
Subject: Re: How to tow an FMC

Veteran

ONLY tow from lifting the front wheels. Do not lift the rear wheels PERIOD. I have had all of the 5 that I have had moved on a Landoll trailer. Google it. Remove driveshaft if being towed more than 15 miles, not over 35 mph.

BE CAREFUL!

Henry
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2019-01-19 4:40 PM (#6196 - in reply to #6194)

Expert

<p>I have been towed multiple times. They just need a larger tow truck. One that tows regular trucks as they will have a long reach stinger to go under the front and lift using tire cradles. Do not allow them to attempt to lift using the front axel. Your driveline is already removed so that is not a concern this time. </p><p> Be sure to be there when they are hooking upso the operator doesn’t think he knows better and takes a short cut. Point out that there is a water tank hanging down under the front and that he is not to crush it.  Most 29’ motor homes are either class C or built on a bread truck chassis.   That’s why the insurance company or tow company sent the smaller rig. I have had that experience as well. </p>
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-01-19 9:01 PM (#6197 - in reply to #6196)

Elite Veteran

How mine arrived from Sedona: http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=127&p...
hemi354az
Posted 2019-01-20 5:41 PM (#6198 - in reply to #6197)

Extreme Veteran

Photos - How to TOW a FMC :

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FMCMotorCoach/photos/photostream...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FMCMotorCoach/photos/photostream...
woodlandfarms
Posted 2019-01-24 12:43 AM (#6211 - in reply to #6194)

Regular

Well, they got it up the hill yesterday. I was going to post a couple of photos but this BBS software seems to be pretty remedial. If you guys know how to add photos, I couldn't find the link .... But thanks to all of you for the help, I couldn't flat bed but once they understood about the larger truck and stinger it all worked out. We even turned it over today (although it caught on fire but that is a different story).
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-01-24 8:27 AM (#6214 - in reply to #6211)

Elite Veteran

You will have to go to the top right of this page and select "albums", create an album then just post a link here in the thread to it. You are correct; it is a bit archaic.
woodlandfarms
Posted 2019-01-24 10:52 AM (#6216 - in reply to #6194)

Regular

Thanks Len. Here is the wrecker arriving on the farm. Only took out one culvert and missed all the trees.

http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=193&p...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)