Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Odd issue with DOT-5, any experts?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

woodlandfarms
Posted 2020-04-22 7:47 PM (#7237)
Subject: Odd issue with DOT-5, any experts?

Regular

So here is a unique one that my local mechanics cannot answer. During my brake rebuild I replaced all my rear cylinders, rebuilt all my front cylinders, flushed with 2 gallons of alcohol. Replaced all the hoses, blew out with air.... used my pressure pot to bleed my system (and that has been a ROYAL PITA trying to get the air out).

Anyway, so went under for my 16th bleed and the fluid that came out of one of my rear cylinders was yellow / clear and not blue. OK. Freak out time. I continue to bleed and in comes the blue...

So I take this stuff that is "discolored" and start running poor mans tests on it. There is no separation, so it is yellow all the way through. So I sample it out into 4 different test samples, and I add Alcohol, DOT3, Water, and fresh DOT5. So after a few minutes the Alchohol, DOT3 and Water have separated and the DOT5 mix has not. Actually it is just lighter shade of blue, but mixed fine.

So I am stumped. What is reacting with my brake fluid that would extract the dye out of it. I am going to put some alcohol in with the DOT 5 and see if it pulls the color out after 24 hours. Oh, and this is ONLY happening in this one cylinder, and the amount of fluid I am getting feels about 2 cylinders worth before it goes blue. To add to the complexity, the wheel cylinders are probably from different manufactures (the left and the right) as Napa and O'Rielly only had 2 each in stock.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
hemi354az
Posted 2020-04-22 8:20 PM (#7238 - in reply to #7237)
Subject: Re: Odd issue with DOT-5, any experts?

Extreme Veteran

Ask the US Army. They developed DOT 5.

Uh . . . " (the left and the right) " ?
What does that mean ?

Lou #120
5Dollar
Posted 2020-04-22 8:26 PM (#7239 - in reply to #7237)
Subject: Re: Odd issue with DOT-5, any experts?

Veteran

I am far from an expert on DOT 5 as you can get, but, the new wheel cylinder may have been drilled/honed with excess grease. The grease may be yellow and discolor the blue. Just a thought.

Henry
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)