DRIVE-AXLE INNER BEARING SERVICE.
andy1canada
Posted 2024-07-16 11:46 AM (#8222)
Subject: DRIVE-AXLE INNER BEARING SERVICE.

Elite Veteran

I'd hazard a guess that greasing the two conical inboard bearings of the drive axles on our coaches has remained a mystery to many of you as it has to me.

According to Jimmy B. (RVS) the drive axle bearings should be repacked every 24,000 miles.

I'm certain that today's high quality lubricants are considerably more durable than those used decades ago when FMC (or Jimmy) made this recommendation. How much longer this fact would extend bearing service intervals today - I won't venture to guess here.

There's a handy drive axle service procedure reference in the 'Parts' manual, and on-line too. Group: 17 Propeller Shafts. If you use the on-line manual (thanks Kjetil!) you'll find the 'Parts' section Group 17 copy is more legible.

Years ago there was a fellow that took the time to post some pics of the drive axle bearing service he did at the time. I don't know if it was on the old Yahoo Group or where he'd posted it but it seems to have disappeared; regardless, I remember, with all due respect to this fellow, I found the post a little hard to follow along with and it left me a little confused (even some anxious) about how to do this job, or, if I even had the moxy to do it myself.

First, thanks to Dan Karnath (whose done this job 3-times already) for encouraging me to tackle this important bit of maintenance and guiding me through the job on my beloved old #846.

NOTE: Dan rolled his coach up on ramps and left the wheels on the 3-coaches he worked on for this job. I already had the wheels off my coach with it up on jack-stands when I decided to do this. Dan's way is likely easier.

BE SURE TO CHOCK THE FRONT WHEELS SECURELY WHICHEVER WAY YOU DO THIS!

With the Parts Manual description and the pics I've posted in the Album section of this Forum.

See: https://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid...

Please feel free to add comments or suggestions or corrections for any errors I've overlooked here.

Hope this helps someone, somewhere... someday.

Terry

Top of the page Bottom of the page
andy1canada
Posted 2024-08-22 10:30 AM (#8229 - in reply to #8222)
Subject: Re: DRIVE-AXLE INNER BEARING SERVICE.

Elite Veteran

NOTE: I've updated my album on this topic with what I hope will be useful information.
I learned a lot doing this work. Cheers, Terry
http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?msg=upd...
Top of the page Bottom of the page